Huseyin Akis – Blog Entry #8

It’s October 19, 2015, it has been one month since; I’ve started interning at City Tech Image & Visual Communications. The experience interning here has been great. I’m learning about how to go in depth with my logo developing and masking skills in Photoshop CC 2014. Interning here, has allowed me to work hard and fully concentrate on projects.

I’m still working on the City Tech Wi-Fi logo. The illustration of the logo depicts three curved shapes, they represent a Wi-Fi signal and each shape has typography in them. For, example one of the curved shapes spells out City and the other Tech, and so forth. Mr. Vargas, asked me today to use a different font but, only for the letter “C” of City. He wanted me to use an extended typeface in bold. This way the letter “C” is evenly spaced, between the other letters.

I found the perfect font called Micro Extended FLF and turned the typeface bold. Now, it was time to kern the space, between the letters of the word City. The thickness of the T and Y’s base was thicker compared to the “I”. When, I created outlined text; I had to resize some of the letters, so they can fit inside the curved shape. I made the adjustments, by using the direct selection tool. I brought in the points closer, at the edges of the “T” and “Y”. In order to thin out the width, so its width is the same as the “I”.

The goal was to find an extended font, to use for the letter C in bold. This way the letter C would be thick enough, to leave less negative space in between the letters. I can, gladly say the goal was accomplished today!