Disney Habits – Week 11

Remember when we first arrived at Disney and went to the Disney Traditions we were taught the Disney pointer and the Disney scoop? I thought to myself, “there is no way I can see myself picking up that habit”. Well, Disney definitely proved me wrong. Not only when I’m directing a guest would I use the Disney pointer, I catch myself doing it during positions such as load and unload where I am not required to use the Disney pointer. It began to feel so natural pointing with two fingers that before I knew it, I was doing it outside of work as well.

Beside the Disney pointer and scoop, I’m sure each of us picked up different habits that other departments require you to learn. For me it was pressing the counter every time a parent carries their child through the exit. The counter helps us keep an accurate count of all the guests that was on our ride that day. Since the photo cell is at waist length, children who were carried through the exit was not counted. It is quite amusing to catch myself reaching for my imaginary counter while I’m outside of work because I see a parent walking by while carrying their child. It’s even more funny when you are with your co-workers that know you are doing it base on reflects from seeing a carried child.

Another interesting habit I picked up was giving out Mickey stickers to little kids that I see running around, especially when they are crying, something in my head screams “give the kid a sticker!!!” As most Disney leaders had told us, in Disney, while we are at work with our cast member name tag on, it’s alright to make a little girl feel like they are a princess or even approach them to have a small conversation; however, if we did that outside of work, without our costumes and name tag, a parent will look at you like you are trying to kidnap their child. My problem is, each time I see a baby or a child wave at me, crackling or crying, my instinct is to look for a Mickey sticker to give to them. There were a few times after work, I would be with my co-workers walking around the parks and since I just got off work, 9 out of 10 times I would still have Mickey stickers left over. My co-workers would have to stop and remind me that I am not in costume and isn’t allow to give the child a sticker. Before I leave my home, I have to make sure I don’t have any stickers on me to prevent this habit since my co-workers won’t be there to save me every time.

If anyone has any Disney habit they developed from working at their department, please feel free to share!

Mei Lin
Epcot – Future World East Attractions
Spaceship Earth

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Disney Habits – Week 11

1. imatias89 says:

Its understandable how one can develop a habit from doing things likes the ones you mentioned especially when it is something that the business requires you to do. Gestures like those is what makes the business unique. Giving a sticker to a child that is crying or upset is a natural thing that should come out of you if you have the sticker on hand, is a way of trying to help the parent calm the child and if you’re able to do that a parent will remember you for ever. They are habits that will be happen naturally while you’re in Disney, but when you come back it will definately go b ack to normal because the city is a whole different world compared to Disney.