Diversity – Week 3

Living in New York you’re already used to diversity. However, when I get here people are so intrigued in seeing other cultures and I find it really interestingly funny because this is just like home for me if not less diversified than New York. Every person I met has either had a great memory in New York or is longing to go there and I encourage them to go because it is truly a culture shock and I think they need it. They have lived in a box for basically their whole life and I feel that going some place with diversity will help their ignorance in terms of knowing others cultures. Its the same thing with my house mates.Its funny how people outside of New York claim that we feel the world revolves around us and in reality its the opposite. Because in New York the “us” is American black, Caribbean black, American white, European white, Hispanic : Columbian, Mexico, Honduras, Ecuador and so forth,Chinese, Japanse, Vietnamese, places most of the states don’t even know exist are represented in the “us” of New York. But in the other states, cultural ignorance is very present. I know he habits of my house mates but they can’t understand me. I can say the names of the foreign guest who come into Tony’s because I’m used to the cultures and have some knowledge whether minor or major of their language and name pronunciations. It actually shocks people when I can talk to them about their homes but my co workers can’t do that. And so when I find the lack of culture knowledge a shock they find the cultural overload to be one.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.