Read and React # 5

This semester I had two very interesting and engaging classes,  Human resource management and experiential learning. I have to say it was not an easy course both of them took careful planning and dedication. This semester I was introduce with a great amount of new information for which I’m grateful. In particular I enjoyed my experiential learning class. It took much more critical thinking and hands on research.  The class was structure in a way that I have not learned before and that was a challenge in itself. The main concept of the class was to begin to understand how we learn and exploring different ways of doing so. We focus a lot on the way adult learned and how they differ from children who have been in school from a young age.  In Walt Disney World we have a variety of cast members ranging of many ages. Walt Disney world cannot age discriminate and this causes them to be here for up to 20 plus years. As we know times change and so does our technology. This is a multimillion dollar international company and we need to keep up with the times. Making this possible it’s not easy for the company because they also have to teach the cast members about new procedures. Some of them can’t even speak English and makes their understanding of the job near impossible.  This is where we have to learn about how to teach them in other to process a system of information like our website hub.

http://sdfsc-enews.org/HowAdultsLearn.pdf

In the article “How adults Learn” by Marcia l. Conner talk about what learning is and how adults learn. Another concept that I learn in the class and Conner discusses in her article is that we learn from what we experience in general not just in an academic structure. “Learning can and should be a lifelong process. Learning shouldn’t be defined by what happened early in life, only at school.  We constantly make sense of our experiences and consistently search for meaning. In essence, we continue to learn.” We are always learning it just takes more time for an adult to process some information because there are more things to focus in. It  was very interesting  learning about how we learn.

This entry was posted in Read and React 5. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read and React # 5

1. Zhe Zhuang says:

I definitely agree what Victoria talks about adult learning. I have Experiential Learning class as well, for children and teenagers learning, mostly they learn from intelligent toys, books, teachers and parents. However, as adults we will combine our experiences and the knowledge what we learn from books to think about what we learn in our life. In class, we discuss about different learning styles, such as circuit learning, organization learning, conversation learning,etc.

2. Zhe Zhuang says:

Continue…
    As a housekeeper, my circuit learning experience is trained with different trainers at the beginning of my work. The first two days I was trained as a runner to deliver stuff and fill out the amenities; the other two days I was trained as a housekeeper to do turn-down service and clean rooms. I was also trained in the base to learn how a team work together. It looks like a cycle for me because everyone in this cycle is important, if something wrong with somebody, we should fix the cycle to make sure it works smoothly.
    The learning organization is a kind of learning comparing the past and the current. Once I start my work as a PM housekeeper, I think the turn-down service is very easy, just turn on the reading light, turn down the sheets and put chocolate on the beds. However, after I meet more full-time housekeepers, I learn from their experiences about different turn-down services from what I did before. This is a service not only working on the beds, but also keeping the room clean. Therefore we should empty the trash cans, change the dirty towels and dry the bathrooms as well.
    Conversational learning is a very common adult learning, because whenever or wherever people talk with somebody else, they are learning. Learning from other people’s experience through talking can be our own lesson to apply our life as well.