Read and React #2

Today we actually had a thunderstorm so I was able to pay close attention to what our leaders and coordinators are doing during this situation. I work at Studio Catering , anytime it is raining all the guests run over to restaurant. We make sure that there is enough food, because we do pick up business when it rains. When it starts raining close to closing we stay open for an extra half and hour. We make sure the area is save the guests, we also make sure that the hopscotch that was made in the day for the kids is still available to the kids. There is the Light, Camera and Action show across from us if there are clouds outside the show gets pushed back or made cancelled depending on how bad the clouds are and the weather.

On the day of orientation  while we were given a tour of the park we shown we where the emergency exits are. I do know the few that are close to my location because I walk by them daily. At Hollywood Studio’s  at the front gate Mickey Mouse is on a pole so lightning  can strike the pole. And I have seen at Typhoon Lagoon there are many lightning pole around the park.One of my roommates works at Typhoon Lagoon, she mention to me that they shut down all the rides and have the guest go to shelter areas within the park .If it is close to closing time they park gets closed early.

Although it took them four times to make a correct emergency plan, the team did not give up until it was perfect. It makes happy for the fact that Disney put their employees whom had no home to go to in the hotels and provided food for them. In addition  they help them with repairing their homes. It seem like they were a bit more organized than the government was for Katrina. We were suppose to have that so called hurricane in August while I was here, they made sure that all the employees phone numbers were correct. If the park was going to be closed they would call us.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read and React #2

1. Huihong He says:

This is the reason why Disney is always one of the top destinations for family. They never stop the improvement. Staying at the park, you just need to enjoy yourself.

2. imatias89 says:

It seems very natural to have rush hour in restaurants during heavy rains especially at eat-in restaurants. There was one rainy day that we had guest sitting on the floor with their trays on their laps because the restaurant was full. Managers even had to remake orders of guest food that had became cold after they spent minutes looking for a sit. At epcot there aren’t any water rides therefore I can’t think of any rides that might be closed during these storms. I guess guest just see it as a perfect opportunity to be out of the rain and eat while the rain slows down or goes away because rain is florida usually runs from 15 minutes to an hour.

I agree with you on Disney taking care of their employees. It is very kind of them to go above and beyond for there employess aswell. To me that is a sign of gratitude especially that their cast members spend most of their daily life’s working for Disney and providing their best guest service to maintain magical moments. I have never seen or heard anything like this until I read “The Storms of Summer.” It feels good to know that during chronic disasters your employer will be there to help.