What stood out the most to me is how white dominated the type design world is. I was never aware of the huge diverse gap. In the essay it said that the tech and design industries are dominated by white men (87%) and the AIGIA’s Design Census had put it at 60%. It made me think about my previous retail job. It was below 5%. It saddens me to hear because discrimination after all of these years still exists but just in different ways. Let alone, getting ideas stolen and getting short end of the stick in pay rate, African Americans always have to work twice if not 10 times harder to get recognition and respect in this world. Another thing that stood out to me is how hard black designers fought to get respect from the industry. It is nothing less than inspiring because knowing that there were people before me who fought so people like myself and other African Americans could live a better life than they’ve had.  The best way to change the field for me is by helping each other get to the top UNIFIED. If one person makes it, everyone makes it. We start by supporting each other and mentioning each other in rooms. We are all trying to make a name for ourselves and trying to build a life we desire to live. Instead of being competitive let’s be more supportive. Let’s build a better life for the ones who come after us.

I personally think in 20 years the commercial design field and the study of design history would look more new and refreshed. The reason for saying that is regardless of the lineage of design history, there will be a new and engaging way to learn the history of it. I feel like there will be more mid to late 20th and possible early 21st centuries designers will be highlighted more in the communication design study. There are too many designers in the world for the books, studies and school lectures to only limit the audience to the same information. The study is important however there needs to be new ways of how to tell the stories because time will continuously change.