Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | FALL 2023 | Thurs 2:30pm

Week 12 Agenda

Tasks Due From Last Week

• Review Post Modernism resources
  • Review Representation, Context & Stereotype Continued
  • Review milestones for your Research Project
  • Complete Research Essay #2
  • Submit Week 11 Agenda Checklist

This Week’s Topics

Check-in

After today, only three classes left!

If you’d like to meet again to discuss your research project, please contact me to schedule a time. And as always, be in touch with any questions or concerns.

Apologies

Last week we covered a lot of information and then ended on the difficult/painful topic of stereotype in advertising to help you complete your Research Essay #2. And specifically, we looked at racist advertising imagery from the 19th century. I wanted to acknowledge that there may not have been enough time/energy at the end of class to process such a difficult topic. If you have suggestions for improvement or anything you’d like to share, please do.

Freewrite – ART OF NOTICING (10 min)

Last Week’s Prompt – from Christina

Find something to complain about. The best way to complain is to make things! What, among everything you encounter, could be made better somehow?

ARt of Noticing

In your language of choice, write continuously in your notebook for 10 minutes about your experience finding something to complain about. Don’t edit, or correct, don’t stop, just write. If you get stuck, just write the same word(s) over and over until you think of something else to write down.

This Week’s Prompt – from Alice!

Identify the weirdest thing in the room and ask about it. “There’s a lesson in this. Whether you are in someone’s home, office, or business, determine which is most inexplicable and unlikely object you can see. Then ask “So what’s the story with that?” Chances are, a memorable tale will follow.”

Course Work

At this point in the semester, in addition to in-class discussions, you should have completed the following.

Activities

Below find the information covered in this session. Complete all of the following activities, videos, and assignments.

1. Create Your Research Project Presentation Post

By today you should have completed the first five milestones. Review the project guidelines and milestones.

For the next class meeting, create the post that you will use to submit your final Research Project Presentation > Example Post.

Review the instructions for formatting and submitting your final post, and add a link to your in-progress presentation with voiceover and your annotated bibliography for feedback from your classmates.

2. Evaluating Online Sources

When searching for sources for your Research Project, it’s important not to take all sources at face value. Think critically about the sources your find online, the context in which the sources are created, and the context in which you are using the source.

Watch this interactive 5-minute video tutorial created by the City Tech Library, which goes over how to evaluate online sources.

When evaluating sources, ask the following questions:

1. What kind of source is this? Be as specific as possible.
  2. Is it a reliable source? How can you tell?
  3. What is the purpose of the source?
  4. Is the source biased? Do you think the author was paid to write this source? Why or why not?
  5. Do you think you’d have to pay to read the full text of this source? Why or why not?
  6. If a text is free to read, but an author is paid to write, where does the money to pay the author come from?

3. Presentation Tips & Tools

Review the Research Project & Presentation guidelines to make sure you are clear about what the expectations are. Specifically, take note of the requirements for Your Annotated Bibliography and Your Presentation Format.

Below find some helpful links for tips and tools you can use to assemble and record your Research Presentation.

4. Work in Class

Spend the remainder of this class period completing one or two tasks.

Add a comment on this Week 12 Agenda Post with your goal and then add a follow up reply with the result of your efforts.

Week 12 Agenda Checklist

Below are all of the tasks, big and small, for this week. The due date is Wednesday, 11:59 pm before our next Thursday class. Timely completion of these tasks will contribute to your success in this course.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Tasks from the Week 12 Agenda
Name

Print this page

1. Jonathan Rodriguez

My goal is to finish my script and begin the first draft of my video with visuals.

2. Ziqi Lin

My goal is to finish the first draft of my powerpoint.

• Ziqi Lin

I have finished my draft and wrote down what I would want to say when presenting.

3. Lizbeth Bolanos

My goal for today’s class is to complete what I have started for research essay 2. I may not finish it before the end of the hour but it should be mostly complete.

• Lizbeth Bolanos

I managed to target all of my arguments and have only my conclusion left to complete.

4. Lola Lopez

For today, I’m going to work on my research project. I will focus on gathering my sources and organizing them in an easy way to use for my presentation, and creating an outline for the presentation.

• Lola Lopez

I was able to gather and organize my sources in order and create the outline of the presentation.

5. Jennell T

I want to create four, one minute talking points for the topics in my research presentation, and finalize it’s structure.

• Jennell T

I was able to complete three out of four talking points, but I may revisit my presentation structure and take something out.

6. Abenezer Bereket

I plan on completing 2 reading assignments i’ve missed.

7. Tsz Yin Tung (Alice)

I finished essay 2 and started working on the research project on google slide

8. Nina Briggs

My goal was do some research and read some the articles I saved and haven’t had a chance to read yet.

• Nina Briggs

I finished reading 2 of the articles and added some ideas for my script

9. Fenix Frias

I was able to finish the latest reading responses and got an idea of how I will make my presentation.

10. Morgan Jeong

My Goal is to catch up on reading assignments I’ve missed