Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | FALL 2023 | Thurs 2:30pm

Research Project Presentation – CF

How Sustainable architecture can enhance the physical and mental health of building occupants

Brief Overview:

Sustainable architecture enhances the physical and mental health of building occupants by creating spaces that prioritize clean air, natural light, thermal comfort, and overall well-being. These features lead to healthier, more comfortable, and happier living and working environments. Architecture is not just about erecting structures; it is a powerful form of expression that communicates ideas, beliefs, and ideologies. Throughout history, architects have been influenced by the prevailing social and political climate, resulting in diverse architectural styles that reflect the spirit of their era. Whether it’s the grandeur of Gothic cathedrals, the simplicity of Bauhaus design, or the futuristic vision of contemporary skyscrapers, each architectural movement has been shaped by the society and politics of its time.

Annotated Bibliography

1.Annotated Bibliography

2.Research Project Slides

1. Lyonel

Recognizing how natural light and greenery impact our mood and well-being adds an extra layer of cool to sustainable architecture. I mean, who wouldn’t want spaces that not only look good but also feel good? And it’s not just about the vibe, using eco-friendly materials is always good to our health.

I can’t imagine how many health issues are related to the use of toxic materials like lead paint. Opting for non-toxic, eco-friendly materials in sustainable designs is a win-win for our health.

A few comments about the presentation, try to summarize and leave only the important points of each slide, and leave some white space between paragraphs so it is easy to read.

Great job!

2. Nicolas

Great presentation, very informative on how to create a more sustainable future with architecture design. The mental wellness factor was a great direction to go, I would have like to see you present a conclusion of workable solutions.

3. SarahJane Hayward

Super interesting topic, I loved how you went into sustainability beyond its environmental benefits, and how things that are good for the planet are good for humans too. I think that removing some text from the slides and adding more visual examples could be helpful in communicating those ideas. 

4. Lola Lopez

Great topic and I like how you explained how sustainable architecture can affect mental health. I like the images you showed because they give us an idea of how sustainable architecture can work. I agree with adding more images and less text so as to not overwhelm your audience but other than that I really enjoyed your presentation!