NYCDOB has many internship opportunities for civil engineering students. They are as follows:
Forensic Engineering Intern: Under the direction from a Professional Engineer, the engineering intern will be responsible for the following:
• Participate with on site evaluation of structural faults and cracks and determination of building safety.
• Historic Building research and its application to new building construction or alteration with a
• concentration on 19th Century buildings.
• Assist in engineering review of structural plans.
• Assist in writing engineering reports.
• Hand drafting of building floor plans and elevations.
• Participate in analysis of structures.
• Review plans and calculations in conjunction with Forensic and Concrete engineers.
• Participate in inspection of unsafe buildings which leads to the demolition of these buildings.
• Conduct site surveys using transits, laser levels and tape measures.
• Participate in the inspection of building facades.
• Participate in concrete inspection and parallel testing of concrete structures.
• Provide graphic support to various Investigative Engineering Services presentations.
• Participate in administrative tasks related to our Building Information System
• Areas of Study: Civil or Mechanical Engineering
Plan Examination Intern
• Conduct online and paper research for Letter of No Objection documents for the plan examination team.
• Conduct online research for After Hour Variance review for the Project Advocate team.
• Conduct research and assist the Code and Zoning specialist for CCD1 and ZRD1 requests
• Research Zoning Resolution for Zoning Challenges for the borough and present it to Borough Commissioner’s office and/or Chief Plan Examiner for review.
• Participate in monthly staff training assisting Chief Plan Examiner in researching on-going DOB issues and prepare training material under the Chief’s guidance
• Prepare business correspondence and DOB official letters for the Borough Commissioner’s Office.
• Assist with tracking, time management, and technical presentations.
· Areas of Study: Architecture or civil engineering
Program Monitoring and Compliance Intern
The Program Monitoring and Compliance unit (PMC) provides ongoing technical support to borough plan exam units, conducts internal training of Plan Examiners, monitors Professional Certification program, and through regular audits and monitoring ensures that accurate project permit fees due to the City are collected for alteration applications. The unit periodically updates cost valuation methods and work scope costs for alterations.
• Assist with initial posting and updating guidelines of changes to Code, Zoning and other Regulations.
• Assist in updating project guidelines in SharePoint; assist in developing and updating Bluebeam tool chests.
• Review and update the public, interactive web version of the Project Guidelines for owners, contractors and design professionals.
• Areas of Study: Architecture or civil engineering
Safety Standards and Guidance Intern
The Safety Standards and Guidance unit performs work in occupational health and safety, including the development of construction safety standards and guidance, analyzing the Department’s and industry safety practices, and engaging with internal and external stakeholders on construction safety matters.
• Assist with inventory and maintenance of personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Assist with data analysis of safety related items
• Assist with generating presentations, reports, SOP’s if required
• Areas of Study: Civil Engineering, Architecture, Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene
Students have until March 15, 2020 to apply.
Apply online using the following link: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/index_new.html?agency=810
You can address your cover letters to the contact information below:
Rachel Love at firstname.lastname@example.org