Free webinars on BIM & DIGITAL CONSTRUCTION.
Shared via Advisory Board Member, Snigdha Mittal Pullara. Thanks and stay safe!
Looking for a job in transportation infrastructure?
Hiring Field Engineers and many other positions. Check out current opportunities across the US and Canada at RailWorks: https://www.railworks.com/careers
Good news – the CUNY Service Corps application is now open! To apply or for more information, please go to www.cuny.edu/servicecorps.
- Do you want to get paid $15/ hour for serving your community and earning up to $3600 for the year?
- Do you want to boost your resume and future salary with real world experience?
- Do you meet Service Corps eligibility criteria such as being a full-time student with at least a 2.5 GPA?
Service Corps gives students like you the chance to improve New York City’s future by placing selected candidates in NYC nonprofits and government agencies, where you gain real-world experience while helping your community. We provide ongoing support and professional training every month to help you navigate the nonprofit and government workplace.
This is a one-year program that starts in August 2020 and runs through May 2021. Members work 10 hours per week, 12 weeks per semester for two semesters. Some students may also be able to earn college credit.
Projects Service Corps members have worked on include but not limited to:
- Analyzing citywide data in order to identify the most pressing issues in particular communities
- Helping New Yorkers with diabetes to navigate the healthcare system and gain adequate treatment
- Advocating for tenant’s rights and providing eviction prevention services
- Educating local communities regarding environmental issues and energy efficiency
Past placements have included:
9/11 Memorial & Museum, American Museum of Natural History, Center for Court Innovation, Federal Reserve Bank of NY, NYC DCAS, NYC Dept. of Transportation, New York Hall of Science, NYC City Council, Office of Manhattan Borough President, Teach for America, and more!
Priority deadline is February 22nd, 2020. Applications will be accepted until March 22nd, 2020. To hear directly from students who have participated in the Service Corps, view this reflections video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdI-HiOvDcI). If you have any questions about your eligibility or application, please contact us at email@example.com, 718-260-5846, or visit our office in the Welcome Center (L114).
Please note that the Service Corps is a one-year commitment and opportunity for CUNY students. Past or current Service Corps members may not reapply.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
CUNY Service Corps
New York City College of Technology
Professional Development Center
300 Jay Street, L114
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Learn about: Changing material costs for 2020 and how this volatility impacts projects. 15 minute video webinar.
Access free content (with sign in): here
Summary: Construction cost changes are inevitable. In fact, from 2019 to 2020, 34% of construction costs have changed by more than +/- 5%. This cost volatility is enormous for the people who plan, finance, build and maintain the facilities and infrastructure communities depend on. It’s vital these professionals understand how and why construction costs have changed over the last year.
Watch this on demand webinar to hear two of the minds behind Gordian’s RSMeans data discuss how the costs of steel, concrete and wood will change in 2020. They’ll also discuss why construction costs change, a few additions to RSMeans data for 2020 and more!
Research company ahead of time: https://www.ostroffelectric.com/
Applications to: See contact information below.
Job posting: Ostroff Electrical Contractors is looking for a highly organized junior estimator/ project manager responsible for analyzing project plans and specifications to determine the overall estimated cost of a project; skilled at both quantity take-off and conceptual estimating with mandatory experience in architectural & electrical work experience.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing project drawings and specifications, CAD (Working knowledge of adobe and excel)
- Prepare complete takeoff.
- Work with chief estimator to create detailed cost estimate based on project scope.
- Develop the scope of work for sub-contractors.
- Help the chief estimator to optimize job costs by negotiating prices with vendors/sub-contractors through quotations for material/services.
- Interface with Owners, Superintendents and construction foremen to provide engineering and cost data for project scope and change order preparation. Attend walk-through and meetings where needed.
- Maintain file of working documents as back-up for estimating database, including current information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc
- Must be a team player with a can do attitude and can relate well to others
- AutoCAD Drafting ability/ knowledge