General Jose Artigas Statue

The Jose Artigas Staute was a surprise to me as I was on my way to a restaurant in the SOHO area in Manhattan. After further research I discovered who he was and this is what i found out.  José Artigas was born on June 19, 1764 on the outskirts of Montevideo, then part of the Banda Oriental del Uruguay, in the Spanish Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata. Artigas’ parents were criollos, and his family were landowners; it was on their estates that at a young age he earned the respect and admiration of the gauchos for his courage and strong character. In 1797 he became military commander of the Cuerpo de Blandengues, a Spanish force charged with getting rid the country of outlaws and smugglers.

The larger-than-life statue of Artigas in Soho Square is a second cast of an original by José Luis Zorrilla de San Martín (1891-1975), which has stood in Montevideo, in front of the Uruguayan National Bank, since 1949. Zorrilla served as Director of the Uruguayan National Museum of Fine Arts, and was then considered his country’s outstanding sculptor. His father, Juan Zorrilla de San Martín, was both a poet and Uruguay’s Ambassador to Spain. This replica was fabricated by Vignali and Company, and placed on a Uruguayan granite base designed by architect Maria Cristina Caquías.

Soho Square, in which the statue stands was one of several wedge-shaped public plazas created when Sixth Avenue was extended south of Carmine Street in the 1920s.

img_0857

References

“SoHo Square.” SoHo Square Highlights : NYC Parks. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2016

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Ashley Lino-Frazier

A young woman from Brooklyn,New York who was recently employed with Bombardier Inc. located at JFK International Airport where I was introduced to the Airtrain as a student intern through Scholars At Work. This job involved a wide range of office work and due to the fact this is my first time working in an environment like this, it was a great experience thus far. The use of my excellent communication skills, and my electrical background played a vital part in my employment. As it has become very rare for females to take an interest in engineering, or literally just getting their hands dirty by doing actual physical work on trains. This was a great experience for myself and ultimately it is a step in the right direction for me. Opportunities don't always come directly in your lap, so when your able to find something that suits you take advantage of it. Currently, being enrolled at City Tech as an undergraduate with a major in Computer Engineering Technology the ability to engage in all of these new features are without question new components to me and I am willing to innovate my own projects in the years to come.