Harriet Tubman Memorial Statue

IMG_3594IMG_3595

1. Dedicated on November 13, 2008, 10-foot-tall bronze statue of Harriet Tubman in Harlem, Memorial statue to Harriet Tubman in Harlem to honor all that she did and the many lives she saved. I took this photograph in Located at Harlem in a triangular traffic island at West 122nd Street, St. Nicholas Avenue and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.

2.  Harriet Tubman is being commemorated because she was one of the first African American to escaped slavery to become a leading abolitionist. She led hundreds of enslaved people to freedom along the route of the Underground Railroad. she’s been honored one of the most famous civilians in American history before the Civil War. Till this day, she continues to inspire generations of Americans struggling for civil rights with her bravery and wise action.

3. My reflections to this commemoration, is that this is a well- made statute that mirrors her work in the Underground Railroad, I found it very interesting how Tubman’s body pushes forward like a locomotive, her arms churning at her side like the pistons of the train wheels. Her skirt is sort of pulled up at the front, showing her petticoats like the cow-catcher of a steam locomotive. I It caught my attention how Tubman’s face stares straight forward in showing that she was very determined to achieve her goal.