The Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book LibraryThe Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library
40 West 20 th street
New York, NY 10011
In Memory of Andrew Heiskell
August 21, 1915-May 7, 2003

Andrew Heiskell was born on August 21, 1915 in Naples, Italy. He was most notably through out the world for being the publisher of Life Magazine until 1972 when he rose up to CEO. In 1974 Andrew Heiskell created People Magazine which to this day still sells in the millions every week and was chairman of Time Inc. Andrew Heiskell believed that information in to journalism was from reading as much as you can to make your story/article have life. Mr. Heiskell became a valuable donor to the New York Public Library and in particular to the blind community. For his generous donations and work within the world of journalism and education, The NY Public Library decided to name one of the accessable libraries for the visually impaired after him.
The Andrew Heiskell Talking Book Library is located at 40 West 20th Street between fifth and sixth avenues in New York City.
Andrew Heiskell on a personal level was known to be through many marriages with the most recognized marriage being to actress Madeleine Carroll. AN award named “The Andrew Heiskell Award” was created by Institute of International Education. This library is special to me for the sole reason before I lost my sight I was never interested in reading any books that were longer than maybe a hundred pages, I received a call from Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library and they asked me if I wanted to try out their system of reading which is in audio tapes and digital copies as well. I agreed and assumed by the time I got my audio book player and a couple of books and started trying it out and by the end of the first book I was hooked and I go about every three weeks get a handful of audio and digital tapes via mail or downloads through their official web site. Sadly on May 7, 2003 Andrew Heiskell, who was stated as not only being a publisher but a civic leader passed away. Later that same year, the New York Public Library honored Andrew Heiskell by naming one of their accessable libraries for visually impaired people after him. Today The Andrew Heiskell, Talking Book Library has a very large circulation via regular audio and digital books as well as online versions of downloads of books.

One thought on “The Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book LibraryThe Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library