In Memory of my Grandfather

photo

In my home we have a alter stand where my mom keeps her Buddha statue of Guan Yin. She is the East asian goddess of Mercy. My mom prays and lights an incense twice a day when she wakes up and before she goes to sleep.  The bottom slef is dedicated to my grandfather from maylasia who passed away before I was born. Although I never met him I always feel like he been a part of me and present in my home. Every other day we offer different fruits to Guan Yin and my grandfather.  After my mom prays the fruits are considered blessed. On special holidays like chinsese new year and the moon festival we leave different vegertarian dishes and desserts as an offering. The candels and plaqe with gold lettering are a symbol of my grandfather. I was raised catholic and received the three sacraments, baptism, communion and confirmation but I still go visit the buddhist temples in china town with my mom once a month. Having the alter in my home is a way for me to feel connected to my grandfather and receive his blessings.