Travis Montalvo Blog#3

Third Entry: September 17th.

After our meeting in class, I’ve noticed I often tend to mix in the Anglo-Saxon phrases in to my speech, as Professor Mason referred to in class. Four to six letter words shortened from its Latin origin, has been my primary dialect. I believe the more I read, the better my writing will become.

In reading the article “When G.M. was Google” by Nicholas Lemann, it lays claim to how influential Google as a company is. More than a billion people perform Google searches every month, and using Google has become second nature. “I’ll just Google it”. What make that company that much alluring is the fact that it is unconventional in the things they do. Google depends on hiring smart creatives, who like things messy with loose supervision to unsure the creativity will always flow. They experiment constantly and thereby come up with new kinds of software that in turn become great products. Google has become so massive that it buys up smaller companies. Just look at Youtube, Waze, Nest, and Motorola to name a few. General Motors, “back in the day” was the aggressive acquirer of small companies. However, an imposition of order on the company’s Durant-era caused administrative and financial chaos. G.M. had become so big that if every decision was made at headquarters, and nothing would ever get done.  A philosophy that Google, has gone against to help encourage entrepreneurship and innovational growth to expand the company in many directions.

“Google was designed never to have unions or pensions; the expectation was that most employees wouldn’t plan to stay at the company for decades. Abandoning the social mission of the corporation is a management technique that’s seldom openly celebrated in business books, but it has been significant.”

Their intent was build a smarter world by committing to no restrictions. I see how beneficial this is as a designer, especially with how subjective art can be. You can design to feel, or feel to design. Both outcomes are substantially different.