Travis Montalvo Blog#2

Second Entry: September 13th

After reading through the article of “How to Get A Job”, I agree that there are many people who are poor in their writing and grammar skills. Sadly, I believe advancements in technology how somehow made our grammar very dependent on “auto-correct” or short hand typing through texting and quick commination. A rise of acronyms for “be right back” (brb) or
“I’ll see you later” (c u l8tr) have dumbed us up – for lack of a better word. There are foreign students, who write better than those who you should be experts in their native language. As English is my first language, that expectancy would apply to me ten-fold, but admittedly I do feel I write as I speak.

With the ever-evolving English slang and Ebonics in my vocabulary, it has interestingly enough, weakened the intricacy of my writing.  As an Advertising major, writing copy has to be used in such a fashion to simplify the message. The creative brief starts as an elaborate understanding of the client, written as something suited best for research papers or essays, to just be made into a phrase consisting of five letters. Writing is a double-edge sword dependent on the medium.

In regards to my internship search, I’ve had two schedule meetings in hopes to WOW them with my portfolio. The only thing they may affect their decision in selecting me for the position is differences in availability. If luck has me, I’ll be able to work from home.