Travis Montalvo Blog#1

Hello COMD 4900, after finally finding the correct OpenLab Internship site, I’ve decided to transfer ALL of the Blogs I had been working on so valiantly on the last few weeks to this Course Profile, to be accompanied by my fellow Internship Participants and their Blog entries.

Previously I was a part of an identical site for the Fall 2015 Semester under Professor Joel Mason and “tgoetz” (https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/groups/comd-4900-communication-design-internship-fall-2015/). Wilson, Huseyin, and I had been the only members of this particular profile, but then found it alarming that I had been the only individual providing entries. Luckily my investigation led me to this here, which is better late than never, I presume.

First Entry: September 8th

Currently a Senior at The New York City College of Technology, I’ve dedicated the last few years to developing my professional skills, establishing diversity in design, and learning how to approach problems from different angles.  Admittedly, I’m unsure of how exactly how to start this post. My internship search has been a rollercoaster of e-mails and submissions to find a Team that would be willing to accommodate my busy schedule. Currently, I work full-time as an Assistant Manager for a Corporate-Owned Sprint store in Midtown Manhattan. The retail schedule is quite demanding and very unpredictable and after working in it for over 8 years this shouldn’t come as a surprise. If I have taken one important thing out of working retail, it is definitely hospitality and efficiency. Both go hand in-hand when providing the most memorable experience and leading growth in a business.

Patience and persistence has been a trait I have strengthened in this line of work. These traits, will hopefully aid me in landing my Internship if my scheduling doesn’t. “Prioritizing what needs to be done can help kill my procrastination”, as Procastinus.com has made evident after taking the survey. I assume procrastination can be affected by your personality as well.  As an extravert, my overlook attention to detail. Using my girlfriend as a comparative tool on the Emotional Intelligence Quiz, I see exactly how I can inherit some of her organization skills. I’m absolutely going to be in need of order to successfully complete interning, work, and my finalizing all my projects needed for graduation.