Online Learning — Gary

What is your view about online learning? What is its value? What are its disadvantages? Give specific examples from our class. or another college class, or a high school class.  Many of you have lamented missing out on high school graduation rituals. It’s OK to be emotional.

I  think online learning is a good thing  because it gives you the option   on what kind of experience you want to have, like whether you want a traditional learning experience or a  modern virtual one. When Covid-19 came I decided to go back to school, I was thinking I would be in a physical classroom learning and meeting new people . When I saw how bad the virus was, I decided that I did not want to attend school in person because I did not feel safe. Online learning is not as bad as some may think, you do not always have to take notes, you do not need to buy a book. It is convenient at times like when you do not want to travel to campus because the weather outside is nasty.  You can even travel  as long as you have wifi. There are few things that are different that I did not expect things to be  boring at times, there is no energy, you cannot communicate with your peers or teacher and get help or an immediate answer. Millions of kids got a chance to go to school because learning online was introduced  and helped them continue their education for the year. . A lot of students missed prom, award ceremonies, or their own graduations. Online classes gave them a chance to still get their diploma and/or help them get to the next grade. 

There are few things that are different  from what I expected: you cannot communicate with your peers or teacher and get help or an immediate answer.  I also find myself having less energy and feeling distracted. It can be hard to concentrate on the work I am supposed to be doing so I have to remind myself of my goal which is to graduate and have a successful career. I know what my goal is and I know what I have to do to achieve it. I like online classes so far. I have gone to all these different sites to keep up with the work. I have only been in school for a week and a half. I do not know if I want to stay online or go in person  in the future, but it is too soon to say  I do not like it. I do know that online class has the convenience advantage when it comes to the classwork and homework except for math, but being in the classroom has the social advantage and an irreplaceable vibe.

3 thoughts on “Online Learning — Gary”

1. I really can relate to the lack of energy and focus you feel when going through online learning. I find myself checking my phone, playing video games, or even watching videos at times. In terms of being very convenient, this is true. not dealing with harsh travel conditions or tolls really helps a lot. its really hard to keep up with all the sites used for teaching at times, but after a while, i think we’ll all get used to it eventually.

2. We actually got the same thoughts, I love the fact that we don’t have to afford the book when I register for courses before I was required to get the book the first day of the class, but now it’s all on the computer. I never felt more relaxed about annotating in PDF files, I can put a definition on a specific word, at the end of each paragraph write what basically happens in my own words on the period. ( I can’t do these on Black Theatre PDF flies, I have to print it out and annotate, that took me a lot of time because I don’t have a printer) That’s what I like about online courses. Of course, there will be some delays between communications, just remember to stay focus on the course. This is the progress heading towards your goal, you just have to be patient and you are doing a very good job, Electrical Engineer.

3. It sounds like you are pretty much on the negative side of online learnig. I too feel that need for energy in the zoom classroom. Online learning environment just isn’t the same thing like being in the classroom. I feel the same as Professor Caroline Hellman in her essay “In Defense of the Classroom” when she refutes Cuomo’s comment “the old model of of everybody goes and sits in a classroom and the teacher is in front of that classroom and teaches that class” is pretty wonderful. I do miss that energy that comes from all of us being in the same room at the same time. However, as you say, I don’t feel comfortable (with the virus cases still surging) to be in the classroom right now. So like Raul says, we will just have to get used to this new normal.

As far as difficulty in communication, I absolutely agree. It was much easier to talk to students right after class in the room. It’s harder to get students to stay after a long zoom class. And emailing feels like a distant way to get in touch. Nothing beats real time real face to face student-teacher time.

One thing Gary you can do going forward in your writing — can you give more personal concrete examples in your writing? Can you show me one example of when you felt “less energy and distracted” in a zoom class room? Can you tell me one strategy you have found that helps you fight back? Describe a moment when this happened for you and what you did to cope.