Pandemic Resilience — Fan

Choice A

During the pandemic, all my relatives lock me in my apartment mentally on the phone but my interesting soul kept playing with the door lock, he said “I am getting moldy if you kept me here, I’m out.” Sunshine just burn my eyes a little bit when I opened that metal heavy door, I saw a few people on the street, then I spend some minutes walk towards somewhere that should be crowded before, I don’t see anyone. I When to a supermarket near me, I saw many prices increased, some products can’t even be provided, food is getting expensive but some people lost their job and some can’t work, kids can’t go to school, things can’t process, our government gives hope and help, so people don’t get panic in chaos. Except for all these above nothing else bothers me, I got familiar with wearing a mask, I am really shy in reality so wearing a mask really helping me a lot in daily activity.

A strategy that I have developed these years is to learn like a sponge. This means to absorb any things that I can, but I find out the disadvantages of being a sponge is when the stress squeezes it too hard. The knowledge that you have gained vanish from your mind, these kinds of memories are short-term memory. In order to make it a long-term memory, I will create a vocabulary list or important phrase that inspire me with 2 copies on my computer, so I can be tested each month I will create categories for 26 letters just to be more organized, so absorbing knowledge really helps a little if I can‘t find a way to remember it. Another stratagem that I use is to remember as a robot, so the combination of my learning strategies is called Sponge-Bot.

8 thoughts on “Pandemic Resilience — Fan”

1. I am glad you were able to keep your emotions in check and not lose the mental battle. People on my side of town stayed out too, it looked like some kind of ghost town horror movie. Your right a lot of people did lose their job im one of them but I know it was worse for people living check to check. Being a sponge is good because you absorb things that can help you get through life, but it is also bad if your around toxic people that feed you the wrong information. The strategy you came up with will help you learn to emotionally strong ,and mentally strong. Not sure if you like the black theatre class but you definitely pick up lot of words for your vocabulary after all the reading we have to do.

1. Thank you for reading it, l chose black theatre class because I took Africana folklore before, the similarity of these classes is the knowledge is in the books, it’s hard to tell I like it or not right now, but I won’t regret it.
      Also is not necessary to read my work, is not a requirement, but still appreciate it.

2. It truly was a different world when stepping out for the first time again. I remember walking outside for the first time, my mask on my face, and not a single person on the street. being locked in by family was also something i experienced in a very literal way, with my father not letting me leave at all the first couple months. it does end up putting a shade over you, keeping you in the dark for a while, but we all have to move on somehow. Your metaphor with the sponge is well written, and relatable in so many ways. I hope you can adjust like I have tried to. Its just a matter of time.

3. Fan — you generate a lot of responses from your classmates here. Your Sponge-Bot method of learning is interesting. I applaud you! It’s admirable that you have used this time to absorbing new learning. Can you describe a specific new word or phrase or new concept that you are learning with your sponge-bot method? How did discover this new word or new concept? How did you absorb it like a sponge? or remember it like a robot?

I am also interested to learn that you are shy and that wearing a mask helps shy people. Can you explain that more clearly? Are you hiding behind a mask and that makes you more able to meet people? I actually find that you are very expressive in our HW tasks and you don’t seem shy in your online writing. Does the online learning environment have advantages for shy students?

1. I learn a lot of words when I was annotating Black Theatre PDF, (for example, ubiquitous, introspection, franchise… etc) here is how I absorb like a sponge, during class I’ll keep my eyes on the blackboard and kept taking notes, wrote as fast as possible, then when I try to review my note I felt confused about the part that I wrote because I didn’t remember, memories are leaking. I am shy in reality because I didn’t look good in the mirror, I’m not satisfied with my looking in the mirror, is kind of odd when I took a selfie, but because I am growing older now I felt like I have to grow up and I also think a shy person can write expressively, these factors don’t go against each other. In fact, an online learning environment helps me a lot during class, my high school teacher used to say that my voice is like a mosquito, I think with the mic it changes a lot, but Covid just tie my tongue together sometimes I speak to fast and it stuck, is probably I got too many thoughts in my head, and I can’t express it at the same time.