Copyright/ plagiarism- Miguel Olivares

The idea of copyrights is one I find very interesting. After watching the videos, I kept thinking back on two things from the previous class. The first was the idea that kaavya Viswanathan plagiarized her book. Part of me wants to believe that her explanation was legit. Maybe she did unknowingly write similar passages because she had read the novels back in high school. Then again, if she had read the novels more than once back and enjoyed them as much as she claimed, shouldn’t the similarities have become more obvious?.  After the lecture and the videos, I did some research and found that its estimated that 85% of all work published in the U.S between 1923-1963 is now in the public domain. That seems like a really high figure and it makes me wonder whether it’s because the publishers want to share their work or because they deem it not worth the trouble to copyright. 

One response to “Copyright/ plagiarism- Miguel Olivares

1. I also had the same taught about Kaavya’s explanation in the video we saw in class, she did seem to have an insipiration from the book she had read but at the same her book was very simliar to the original book but with some one or two words changed. About your research it does make me think what is the real reason publishers have their work in the public domain. But besides that we all have to know how to credit people for their work and share our own ideas.