Hi everyone– and welcome to the professional development. To take part in the PD this semester, you will need to attend the bulk of our Wednesday 4-5 pm meetings. If you can’t do that, you can take the PD in a different semester (which is fine!) Let me know if you won’t be able to make this time slot.
If you want to meet with me, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will also do a bit of reading, writing and lesson planning for this PD, all of which will take place on this site. To do this, you’ll need to join– so please do so as soon as you can! At the end of the semester, you will submit a series of in-class or homework assignments, or a new unit that fits with the pedagogy you’re learning here. We’ll discuss (and maybe tweak) this more as we go.
We’ll meet again next Wednesday, Feb 24 at 4 pm to go over the 1101 Model Course Syllabus as a whole, and also to talk about engaging ways to use breakout rooms. To prepare, please:
- Join this site!
- Familiarize yourself with the Model Course Hub, and skim through the “1101 Model Course Outline Revised for Spring.” I will attach the outline below.
- Sign up for Perusall.com. To do this, you will go to perusall.com and go to the login page. Once you are signed in to the site (you will need to set up an account,) it will ask you for a course code. The code for this course is: HALL-G6ZRH. We will start to use Perusall next week.
Our tentative schedule for the semester is as follows (note: we will use the same zoom link all semester) :
- Feb 24 ZOOM Overview of 1101, specific discussion of Unit One. Discussion of effective use of breakout rooms
- March 3 will be an asynchronous meeting (continued discussion of genre and research– 1101 model course pedagogy )
- March 10 ZOOM we’ll meet – discussion of Units 2 and 3 1101 curriculum
- March 17 ZOOM tentatively: discussion of final portfolios as well as strategies for teaching reading online.
- March 24 asynchronous. Begin to discuss “Discourse Communities” and 1121 Syllabus.
- April 7 ZOOM Tentatively: discussion of linguistic diversity
- April 14 asynch: mentor texts
- April 21 ZOOM 1121 Unit 2
- April 28 asynch: teaching multimodal writing
- May 5 ZOOM 1121 Unit 3
- May 12 LAST ZOOM
- units or assignments due by May 28