Unit 3 / Chapter 9 – Blog Response

Considering what you read in “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,” would you want to be informed that you have a gene that could potentially cause disease?

19 thoughts on “Unit 3 / Chapter 9 – Blog Response

1. Mohammed Kabir

In the article, “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,” the author mentions the risks of developing genetic disease and Huntington’s disease which is a severe genetic illness that attacks the brain. I would rather be informed about it than not knowing at all and try to avoid because if there is nothing I can do about the disease, then I don’t want to just live on with fear and unhappiness. I like that the author included one of the disease’s name and the effects of it. I don’t know a lot of people with this kind of genetic diseases but I presume there are families with genetic diseases in this world. To connect to personal life, I don’t think there are any major disease in my family that would be passed on to me.

1. ambar1299

In the article ”A terrible inheritance a difficult decision” the author mention that Moser at the age of 23 made the decision to be tested for Huntington her decision was unusual since there is no treatment or cure. in fact Moser own mother did not agree with her daughter decision. in my opinion i agree with miser mother because you don’t want to know stuff like that you want to enjoy life and knowing that you will one day you will get the disease can be harmful to your mental health and your relationships. another reason why is not a good idea to take the test because there is no medicine that doctor can prescribe you to treat it there is no special diet that you can follow to prevent it and there is no operation they can perform to fix it.

2. Julianna Wu

In the article, “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision” the author states the question about the testing of any inheritance of genetics and giving the examples of Huntington’s disease which has the background about a genetic experiment with the ideas of people choices. I disagree with the author because not all humans are tested subjects to better all the humankind with the belief of gods/or god or no gods to our common known ideas being spread. In realistic, there is tons of information on the internet that people argue their rights about genetic testing. In my life, I instead not get tested because the results can either be positive and negative, so it better to not know at all.

3. NELSON ZAVALA

In the article “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision” the author shows that diseases can be inherit from our parents and how those effect us in more than one aspects in our lives either physically or mental can be dangerous. The author gives us a very interesting example mentioned Katherine Moser lives and the illness call Huntington’s Disease. Base in what was written in this article. I think that I would like to know if I have any kind of gene diseases or if I have the potential to have it. To me it does not makes any different to know if I have it or not because at the end I will be died from it. It is better to be informed and try to enjoy the time that God are giving me now. Because if I have a disease that does not have a cure why I would try to stress my self think of it.

4. Herbens Bernard

In the article “A Terrible Inheritance A Difficult Decision,” the author discusses how the decision to get tested for genetic disease is difficult and how that decision can affect you and your family if it results to a terrible inheritance. The author starts by introducing Katterine Moser an occupational therapist who’s grandfather died of a genetic illness call Huntington. The author also mention that Moser was battling with the decision of getting tested for Huntington but at the end she got tested positive for the Deadly gene. However the result did no affect her negatively but it did affect her relationship with her mother. Personally i would never take a decision to do a test that can possibly be harmful to my mental health and affect life of people that i love. Refering back to the article the decision to be tested for a genetic disease can poison your life if the result comes out positive

5. Kevin Paguay

In the article “A terrible inheritance, A difficult decision”, the author discusses how difficult it can be, deciding whether or not taking a genetic testing to know if you have a disease that can be cure or not.
    Katharine Moser, an occupational therapist at Terence Cardinal Cooke Health care center discusses about her grandfather that died from a disease call Huntington. Moser decide to be tested for Huntington but change her mind, knowing that there’s no cure for the disease means it will ruined her health and her life. In the end, the test result came positive and she continues on with her life and her relationship. If I was deciding to take a test to know if have a disease, I won’t take it because I will waste my entire life finding a cure and cause others life too.

6. Jakia Sultana

In the article “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,” the author discusses how difficult it is to decide whether having genetic test or not and how can it affect in everyone’s life. The author also state that Katharine Moser, who is therapist. His grandfather died by a genetic illness, so he decided to have genetic test and it was positive but it did not affect his brain or health. On other hand, Nancy Wexler decided to not do the test because she thinks it might affect her brain. I think most people will not want to have genetic test because if the test comes out positive, instead of enjoying life people will feel they already dead. In my life, I won’t take decision to do the test because if the result comes out positive my family will bw in depressed and won’t be able to see my family like that.

7. helen14

In the article “A Terrible Inheritance, a Difficult Decision,” the author states if there was no way to prevent, treat or cure the disease, would people still want to be tested? According to Moser’s decision to be tested for Huntington, there is no treatment or cure and most people at risk for Huntington’s do not see that there will be any benefit of being tested. Moreover, Nancy does not want to know whether or not to be tested because she claims that “if you take the test, you have to be prepare to be really depressed”, and she doesn’t want this to happen. I will disagree with the author because some people don’t want to be tested and end up with the result that they don’t like. In my opinion, I would not give myself genetic testing because I don’t like to be depressed.

8. weichen

In the article, ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decisionā€ the author states the genetic disease and there was no way to prevent and recovered by the illness and how it deadly for our life. Moser is an occupatonal therapist and he study the Huntington’s Disease because it attacks the brain and there is no medicine to treat it. Also it illness would make victims lose of control about them movements and lose their all ability and die and he make a genetic test to know if you have illness or not. That cause people don’t want to know if their have illness such as Nancy Wexler she don’t want to do the test because she will felt depressed she want to enjoy her life.I believe that I will not do the genetic test because no one wants to know there have illness and there is no treatment.

9. Talha sadiq

In the article “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision” the author mentions that it is hard to take decision to have a genetic test to find out that test has a cure or not and to see how this cure affect in other life. The author states that disease is very harmful in our mental health and our relationships. I agree with the author statement because people can die easily with that disease so we needs to be careful and take actions against the disease . i would love to get test because i want to know i have a disease or nah . if i have disease then i want to stay away from other so nobody get disease from me.

10. christytan

In the article, ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decisionā€ the author states that genetic disease can be inherit from both of the parents and it is a hard decision to take the genetic test or not. I agree with the author knowing that we will one day get the disease can be harmful to our mental health and our relationships . Katharine Moser made a decision to be tested for Huntington’s Disease, her mother did not agree with her because there is no medicine that doctors can prescribe to treat it, and there is no operation they can perform to fix it. In my personal opinion, I don’t want to be tested because I don’t want to know those stuff and suffer, I just want to enjoy my life.

11. Nojm

According to the article, “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,” author states that disease comes from our previous generations and it can cause people’s death. People get scared to check up their body because if they have disease inside, they will be out of mood always. Katherine Moser, whose grandfather passed away due to disease. Moser thought she probably had a disease, too. That’s why she tested and got no affected. However, Nancy Wexler who didn’t test herself due to if she finds that she has a disease, then she will be depressed. From my point of view, I would support Wexler because if I know that I have a disease inside of myself, then I will feel like always I am about to die. Every moment of my life will be terrible.

12. Hamza

In the article ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,ā€ the author discusses how complicated it is to decide whether to have a genetic test or not and how it can affect everyones’ life. The author also states how Katharine Moser, who is a therapist whose grandfather died due to a genetic illness, so she decided to have genetic test and it was positive but it did not affect her brain or health. On other hand, Nancy Wexler decided to not do the test because she thinks it might affect her in anyway. I think most people will want to have genetic test because if the test comes out positive, they could try find cures of the dieases and help themselves as no one wants to die knowing their off springs are going to have the same disease as them because of their genes.

13. JingFeng

In the article ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,ā€ the author talks about people can inherit the disease from last generation. In the middle, the author talks about Katherine Moser’s grandmother who was died due to the disease of Huntington, Katherine decide to take the test but the result was positive. However, Nancy Wexler was refused to do the test because she don’t to know the result of the test. In my point of view, I would not want to do the test inform that I have disease because I don’t want me and my family over worry about it.

14. Xingchengļ¼ˆJasonļ¼‰

According to “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,” the author discusses people whether take the genetic test or not, and how the genetic test affect their life. The article says that some genetic illness can not prevent, treat and cure it. Katharine Moser made a decision to be tested for Huntingtonā€™s Disease, her mother did not agree with her because there is no medicine that doctors can prescribe to treat it. And most people at risk for Huntington’s do not see any benfit to being tested. In my opinion, I think if I inherit a genetic illness that I will not care about it because there is no way to cure it, so I more likely to enjoy my life until to die.

15. Mohamed

In the article ā€œA terrible Inhertance, A Difficult Decision,ā€ the author states the danger of inheriting illnesses through out genes and how difficult is it to test your genes. If I have a parent who inherited an incurable disease like Moserā€™s grandfather had, i wonā€™t test my genes to see if I have the disease or not, because In this case either if I know or not, nobody can help me to cure the disease which means Iā€™ll just put myself under pressures. On the other hand, if my parents inherited a disease that can be cured, I wonā€™t hesitate to test my genes and see if I have it so I can see a doctor for it.

16. Josias Portalatin

In ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decisionā€ the author state that people take risk testing them self, so they can check if they have any kind of disease. Im agree that people take risk by checking if they have any kind of disease on they body. If I have any kind of disease I would like to get informed on potentially gene that cause disease becuase I can start adapted on that type of life that I would have to live. My reason for this is that Moser test her self in 2005 and she say that she do not regret to test her self.

17. Kevin

In “A Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision” the author state that people are at risk by checking if they have a disease or not. The Reason why is because their inheriting illnesses from family or always checking if they do have a illnesses. Also if you do inherited any disease/illnesses some could be cure so you really don’t need to worry about those. The author also states how Katharine Moser, who is a therapist whose grandfather died due to a genetic illness, so she decided to have genetic test and it was positive but it did not affect her brain or health. On other hand, Nancy Wexler decided to not do the test because she thinks it might affect her in anyway. And in my house i dont need to worry about this because no one in my family has a big illnesses or disease that I have to worry about.

18. Mamun Rana

In the article ā€œA Terrible Inheritance, A Difficult Decision,ā€ the author discusses how dangerous the Huntingtonā€™s disease is and has no cure. I agree with the author that if one parent suffers from this disease, then there are odds to affect their children too. Itā€™s realistic in our life that if one of family members suffer from a disease, then rest of the family members have chances of inheriting the gene that causes the disease. In my life I never heard this kind of dangerous diseases that has no cure or treatment.