Unit 4 / Chapter 10 – Blog Response

After reading “Can You Translate Emotion?,” do you agree with the author that certain emotions are culture specific? Are there any emotions that are specific to the culture that you come from?

20 thoughts on “Unit 4 / Chapter 10 – Blog Response

1. Julianna Wu

In the article, ” Can You Translate Emotion?”, the author states the reasons and meaning of emotions and how emotions affect humans. I disagree with the author because I don’t believe that anger is a devil and childish. It’s realistic to planet earth, the human written about emotions leads humans to discover the meaning and feelings to their logical reasoning.In my life, I learn that every culture has boundaries with emotions and must be careful using those feelings.

1. ambar1299

In the ”Can you translate an emotion” the author discuss the mystery whether emotions are universal or culturally specific. the author explain that many researchers today believe that a limited number of emotions are universal but there is not complete agreement on which emotions humans indeed share. the author mention that Dr.Robert C. Solomon, professor of philosophy has argued that emotions are at least in part, culture specific. and also the author believe that not all emotions are universal is the fact that different languages characterize emotions in different ways. However i agree with the author because its true that different country characterize emotions in different ways for example in my country the word cotorra means you making up lies but cotorra in English doesn’t mean nothing is just a animal which is the parrot.

2. Herbens Bernard

In the article “Can You Translate Emotion?” the author discusses the mystery of whether emotions are universal or cultural by trying to translate or explain emotion by taking examples from different culture. The author mention that,we tend to associate certain behaviors with specific emotions,but of course our associations are based on what those behaviors mean in our culture. The author also compare and questioned the meaning of honor,shame and depression in Americans and Chineses culture. One day my supervisor have wrote my first name starting with a lower case letter,that day i felt dishonor because in Haiti write someones name with lower case letter is disrespectful. But for my supervisor that was nothing. I agree with the authors point that not all emotions are universal ,is the fact that different languages characterize emotions in different ways

3. Jakia Sultana

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author discusses about whether human emotions culturally specific or they are universal. The author also talks about the behavior in one culture might mean something different in another. Therefore, it not easy to recognize which emotions individuals from another country are expressing through their behavior. I agree with the author that certain emotions are culture specific because in my country if I failed in my class that means I am not studying but in the United States that means I am depressed. In Bangladesh it is disrespectful to give young person’s opinion into the elders conversations.

4. Talha sadiq

In the article”Can You Translate Emotion?” the author discusses the mystery of whether emotion are universal or culturally specific but it never be solved. The author explain that many researcher believes that emotions are universal today. You observe people’s behavior, and ask them to describe their emotions but it is impossible directly observe what they are feelings. I agree with author because every country has their own emotions to show to others. There are some emotions that are specific to the culture that i came from. For example In my culture Tamas means in mutual interest and people are usually uses this word everywhere.

5. weichen

In the article”Can You Translate Emotion?” the author discusses the human emotions are universal and different languages and characterize emotions in different ways. The author gave the example of Ifaluk people of MIcronesia think the emotion of anger is evil and they fear it also on the other hand the author exaplain the American males their are uncomfortable expressing their emotion. I agree to the author limitedd number of emotions are universal but people not share it because the language and characterize ways. I belive that people fear to share they emotion to other people because they don’t want to be hurt.

6. helen14

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author states that today there are many researchers who believe that a limited number of emotions are universal and there is no compete agreement on which emotions humans indeed share. The author continue by explaining how to determine two people who are indeed feeling the same emotion. I agree with the author that not all emotions are universal because many people are from different culture and learn different languages. In my experience there are different meaning to a word such as “jia you” it can be meaning refuel or keep up for what you are doing (can as be known as fighting)

7. Mohammed Kabir

In the article “Can You Translate Emotion?”, the author discusses the question of whether feelings are all inclusive or social by attempting to interpret or clarify feeling through taking illustrations in distinct to particular culture. I do agree with the author that certain emotions are culture-specific because I believe certain emotions could mean certain things in a culture where it could mean something else in a different culture. In reality, the author does give examples of few groups of people and one of them has a remarkable way of describing anger. Connecting it to my culture, love isn’t much shown in our culture. For example, our parents doesn’t say “I love you” and hugs us, but only when we tell them to do it. Even though they love us, as we grow up it changes, it isn’t much shown.

1. Sabina Yeasmin

In the article “Can You Translate Emotion?” the author states that certain emotions are culture specific. I am agree with the author because every culture has their own ways to express their emotion. The myestery of weather emotion are universal. People across cultures do not share a similar emotional experience. In my culture we don’t able to show our love. Our love is always hidden for everyone. We can’t show parents how much we love them or how much we want them.

8. Hamza

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author discusses about whether the human emotions are culturally specific or are they universal. The author also mentions that some terms in one culture might mean something different in another culture. Reason why, it not easy to distinguish a person’s culture by it’s emotion. I agree with the author that certain emotions are cultural specific as in some countries bastards are an looked as and outcast but in other countries it’s is normal.

9. NELSON ZAVALA

In the article ” Can You Translate an Emotion?” the author show us that each culture around the world, it has different ways the shows their emotions. He also mention of American culture in how they barely share their feelings with others. It also says that for men is more difficult to express them selves.
    In my opinion Emotions are universal in this world, they may have different names or forms to express them but, at the end they are the same. For example, we could compare emotions with languages. It does not matter where you are it is going to have the same meaning but with different form to say it. We only have to learn it.

10. Kevin Paguay

In the article “Can you translate an emotion?” the author explains how emotions can generally be universal or culturally. Jean L. Briggs an anthropologist wrote a book call “Never be angry” discuss how a group of people call the UTKU don’t have a word in their language for angry, but they don’t know what the word means. Today, researchers believe that the unlimited numbers of emotions are universal, but there are not completely agree that if human emotions shared. However, dr. Robert C. Solomon a professor in philosophy at the university of Texas argues that emotions are part of cultural-specific because he said in his essay that people with the same culture is difficult to know what emotion it is. I agree with the author that certain emotions are culture specific because in my home country we release our emotions by speaking in Quechua.

11. Mamun Rana

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion?” the author discusses how mystery of whether emotions are cultural or universal by taking examples from different culture. I agree with the author that certain emotions are culturally specific and there are few emotions that are specific to the culture that I came from, for example, sattva (lightness), rajas (movement), or tamas (heaviness). Interestingly, these are not generally considered to be emotions in English. It’s realistic that it is impossible to translate emotions in language or go be explain. In my culture, we don’t need to show our loves because they can feel it.

12. JingFeng

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion?” the author discusses the emotions are whether cultural or universal by giving some examples from different group of people. Many researcher believes that not all the emotions are universal. I agree with the author that some emotions are unique by their culture because the language are different. It is hard to explain the cultural emotions into another language, This is what makes the language beautiful and unique.

13. Josias Portalatin

In “Can You Translate an Emotion?” the author describe the different emotion on different culture. In the article say that emotion come from any different place around the world. The author say that they are different emotion around the world, I agree with the author because when some time I visit place people act different than in another place. For example, where Im from the Dominican Republic people act more excited and happy than people I see in New York.

14. Kevin

In “Can You Translate an Emotion?: the author describe the different emotion from vary different type of culture. And its true because when you look around us we see how very person has their own way of describing them self. But when I visit Mexico to see family i see how everyone is untied and helps one another out with anything. like just recently when the earth quack hit us we were see how the whole nation came together and help each other to be salve and be save. Just like Dr.Robert C. Solomon, professor of philosophy has argued that emotions are at least in part, culture specific: said that in every culture people do thing different.

15. Mohamed

In the artilce “ Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author states what are fellings and how do they have different definetions depending on each culture. As it’s provided in the article, American student who failed a test will feel depressed, while a Chinese student will attempt to hurt himself. This example show how culture difference can reflect in our feelings and reactions. I agree with the author at this point because our culture and background always has an effect on us even in our reactions to anything that happens to us,and the way we express our happines or sadness.

16. Nojm

In the article, “Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author discusses that different culture has a different type of emotions. The author mentions that there is a few type of emotions that could be universal, but culturally they’re not because some of the cultures have a different way to define some of the emotions. For example, in my culture, if you become angry that means you’re unhappy and depressed.

17. christytan

In the article, “Can You Translate an Emotion,” the author discusses that not all emotions are universal is the fact that different languages characterize emotions in different ways. I agree with the author everyone has different emotions but they express it in different ways. The author provides few researches as example. If a chinese student failed a class he will attempted to hurt himself, in U.S. you will describe it as depression, but in china, it is expression of deep shame. In china, if you hug someone they might misunderstood that you like them, but in U.S. it’s just a friendly greet.

18. Juan

In the article “Can You Translate an Emotion?” the author discusses the mystery of whether emotions are universal or cultural. The author states that we associate certain behaviors with specific emotions. The author wonder how we can determine that Teo people are indeeed feeling the same emotion. One day of my managers was saying that I was putting fake money on the safe I felt dishonor that day because I knew that it wasn’t me that put that money in the safe , then few days ago they found out who did it and it felt for me like I got everything back again.I agree with the authors point that we don’t know where emotions come from but some of them are connect with you Homeland.