English Composition II

Multimodal Component

Multimodal Composing

Evie Althkefati

04/7/2022

Multimodal Component

It is essential to have a multimodal component in writing classes because the component teaches how to integrate different modes of communication in creating content. The multimodal component enables a person to understand different components of a text. For example, a multimodal text contains a linguistic mode that may have different styles and fonts; a visual mode such as static or moving pictures; a spatial mode which is the distribution of the content on a page; a gestural mode expressed by gestures and movements; and an aural mode that relates to audio. It also teaches a variety of modes through which an author can complement to pass information. The multimodal component teaches flexibility in delivering content where an author can use different modes to pass or enhance the intended information. A multimodal component can greatly enhance presentations, which is essential in academia or workplaces. Therefore, a multimodal component is a crucial component for the writing class.

Multimodality means using various modes of communication to present information. It means exploring different modes such as audio, alphabetical text, video, static pictures, gestures, and color to pass certain information. Multimodality, therefore, adds taste to a literary work or a presentation. It engages an audience’s mind differently; hence, a person can obtain additional information from a picture, sound, graphics, text color, video, and motion pictures. In addition, multimodality is essential in presenting information on digital platforms whereby various texts are used, pictures, and themes. Therefore, multimodality involves actively captivating the audience, emphasizing, complementing, and breaking the monotony. 

I intend to include various modes of communication, including pictures, various font sizes, specific spacing, and paper margin, different font colors, audio, and, if possible, a video. I intend to emphasize my work with the various modes to ensure my audience is extensively engaged and richly informed. I will also engage creativity to make the presentation appealing and captivating to read. Since different people may be interested in different modes of communication, such as alphabetical text, pictures, movies, and voices, I will use them to reach those audiences. Also, my multimodal component will keep my audience focused hence enhancing their understanding. Using various modes of communication indicates that an audience will apprehend the information implicitly and faster; hence the material will appear easy rather than abstract. Also, the various modes of communication will entertain my audiences hence raising the appeal of my presentation.  

1. Prof. Edelson

Evie,
    Thank you for this OUTSTANDING explanation of why multimodality is important! You are so clear and articulate when you write, “The multimodal component enables a person to understand different components of a text. For example, a multimodal text contains a linguistic mode that may have different styles and fonts; a visual mode such as static or moving pictures; a spatial mode which is the distribution of the content on a page; a gestural mode expressed by gestures and movements; and an aural mode that relates to audio.” I didn’t want to quote such a lengthy segment of your own writing at you but it’s so well written I couldn’t resist! Thank you for your care and your research. I look forward to reading your project.
    Sincerely,
    Prof. Edelson