English Composition II

WEEK 10

HW Day One

The most important thing I’ve learned from completing Unit 2 assignments is my “beat.” It was hard to complete the major assignment for Unit 2 because I couldn’t figure out what I was “good” at or passionate about. In the assignment, the professor gave an example such as those who love to drink coffee or ride skateboards. For me, I couldn’t think of anything I’m good at or a skill I acquire. As I thought more about my past and present, I realized that my “beat” is the inspiration I obtained from my favorite artist, female rapper, Nicki Minaj. Since I was nine years old I’ve been attracted to her drive and ambitiousness. 

Out of the five groups mentioned in the Unit 3 assessment sheet, I believe groups of activists such as BLM and LGBTQIA+ need to know about the great woman Nicki Minaj is. I say this because an activist is someone who changes something within the community to make it a better place and also leads effectively. Nicki Minaj has been a prime example of a leader since the beginning of her career. She was upcoming in a world where men dominated the music industry and she has always stood up for women, letting us know we can do whatever we put our minds to just as much as a man can. An activist is able to convince and influence groups of people and Nicki Minaj has done so with the billions of supporters she has worldwide. 

I believe the best way to reach this group is by a video essay. Making a video essay will most likely get their attention and an activist’s number one source is social media and content. As for my Unit 2 assignment, I think I did pretty well. I did my best to answer all bullet points from the assessment. I wish I could have done something spontaneous like interview her but it is impossible being that she lives in Los Angeles and she is a well-known celebrity. 

HW Day Two

I think it is important to have multimodal components when writing or in writing classes, because it helps the writer know what to write and also the reader to understand what the writer is trying to say. Because it is a piece of communication that can take many forms, it’s best for both the reader and writer to understand it in the form of linguistic, visual, gestural, spatial, and audio.

1. Prof. Edelson

Johana! I applaud your thorough response to this week’s assignment! You assess yourself well and you seem to have a plan to continue your work. Your passion for your subject seems to be keeping you engaged and on course. I look forward to watching your video and reading your artist’s statement!
    Prof. Edelson