COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 3b – Guen Fung

The ad I chose from the Superbowl is the Coinbased ad. Although there is no words or communication in the ad. The method approached is the usage of a “QR code”. At first it felt strange, and I am sure everyone thought so at first. But this unique method led people to take out their phone and scan this floating colorful QR code. Crashing even the website of Coinbase, which is where the code leads to.

I believe the usage of the music and the mysterious floating code is suggesting people to go scan this, even though people are most likely sitting down and enjoying their time. Using a retro themed music, it brings more of the mysterious factor up. As Fantasty Football and Daft Kings are big things in Football, I assume this drew attention with those users even more. Afterall, it is about Cryptocurrency which has been hyped around the past few years.

1. Yiqiang Wang

I think the last three seconds of this advertisement are very interesting. In the front part of this advertisement, there are only moving QR code and retro background music, which is easy to be ignored. but the glitch screen that appears at the end makes people realize that this is An advertisement, thereby deepening the impression of the audience.