COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 3b

An ad that interested me from the super bowl is the Budweiser commercial “Clydesdale’s journey.” I chose this ad because is very touching and the visuals are great. There was no verbal communication, just visuals and sounds, gestures from the animals and humans that described what is happening. I actually closed my eyes the second time I played the commercial and just from sounds I was able to paint a story in my head of what could be happening and it is not far off from what is actually happening. They did such a great job with sounds, you can hear the wind that gives us an idea about location, the horse when it got hurted, the sounds it made, the dog’s concerned sound and the horse running again at the end that tell us that he was healed from whatever wound he had. They showed the beers for a few seconds which I thought was very smart because they kept the focused on the story and not so much the product and the message at at the end was very powerful ” In the home of the brave, down never means out.”

1. Iqra Bhatti

Hi, Gloria. I like how you explained what’s going on within the advertisement, and I like what you’re saying approximately “I closed my eyes the moment time I played the commercial and fair from the sounds, I was able to paint a story in my head of what can be happening, and it’s not distant off from what is happening”. great job, It reminds me of a class in high school where we would close our eyes and try to feel what was going on. Great discussion!!

2. Angela Iacono

I totally agree that it was a wise decision that they only showed the beer for a couple seconds. It allowed the viewer to focus on the story and journey of the horse and the dog and the quote at the end was indeed very powerful!

3. Simonlei

Im a fan of the commercial choice you picked. This commercial had a combination of a lot of interesting factors such as visuals, story telling and intrigue. For sure a memorable product for the fact of misdirecting the audience.

4. Lin Chao Chao

This ad focuses more on the story, and the beer only appears for a few seconds. The choice of background music is also very good, very inspirational, positive energy background music.