Professor Michals

HW#1 – ES

The photo that connected with me was this one called “Nick Offerman” for the New York Times done by Christoper Gregory-Rivera. The subject is the man in the photo who is Nick Offerman, an American actor and the location seems to be a type of personal office or study because of the table, items, and location of being next to the window from my interpretation. The purpose of this photo could be for the portfolio of the actor or a shot for an upcoming movie. However what I feel Rivera is trying to say and what I think this photo says is, “Look how sophisticated and determined I am” with the location and the look of the actor’s eyes he’s trying to figure out something. As for what I love about this photo it would have to be the lighting. The use of shadows brings in more depth for the overall photo telling a more serious mood. The contrast of light and dark really makes it feel almost momentous.

I can see a couple of the formal elements that the photographer is using in the photo such as, as I already mentioned the contrast of light and dark which gives a serious tone. Another element I see is a frame within a frame with the curtains opening up just enough but not too much for the actor to highlight some level of significance. Lastly, I see a use of the rule of thirds with the head being in the center but the arm also being shown on the right side of the frame to be important with lighting. So feel this photo uses those elements well to bring a serious mood to the overall photo.

“Nick Offerman”

1. rmichals

You mention the contrast of light and dark and I agree the portrait is shot with hard light, dark darks, and strong shadows. This is an interesting choice for a portrait of an actor who is best known for his work on a comedy.

My guess is that the article this was for was about him looking for or getting more serious roles though I don’t know that for sure.