Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

HW 1 – Photo Description

6th avenue subway

6th Avenue Subway which this photograph was taken at. This photography was taken by Suzanne Stein. There looks like a distressed person I assume, just sitting down on a subway bench. The train passing by is the background behind the person. Seems it is not busy at that station, if it were then it would be packed with people. I think Suzanne Stein took this picture because of how nobody would be courteous towards that person and help him. This mood shows some sad things if that person is alone. But it is also relaxed because it is one person that is in this photograph.

The image shows from the Steven McCurry video shows Fill the Frame. The object is close towards the frame. Another one would be diagonals because of the subway platform and bench facing the same angle straight at each other. Lastly, symmetry, the object is centered and it is facing towards the camera with the eye of the camera.

1. rmichals

I think you are correct about Stein’s intention. She wants to point out the man is alone, distressed and no one helps him.

And yes, fill the frame and symmetry are both in use here.