Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Final Project Proposal

The Many Faces Of Central Park

For my final project I want to go to Central Park. This place is very unique and tells a story like no other. On the surface you may be wondering what could central park offer? “I’ve been there a billion times”. Central park has 2 faces one in the day and one in the night. This idea got inspired from our midterm project. The concept of showing the same place but in a different prospective would work so well in a place like central park. In the day time it’s populated with people doing unique things such as walking their dog, street preforming, dancing classes, festivals/ meetups, people playing sports, going on dates, enjoying the scenery and many more. In the night however its the complete opposite, it starts to look more bleak and dark almost all the people are gone and it starts to look like something out of a slasher film. I want to take photos in the day, night and evening to show the evolution of central park. I really want to show people why I Love this place so much, and even though you’ve been there a 1000 + you haven’t seen the true face of this park yet.

Central Park Mood Board

1. rmichals

Central Park is a good topic but I would narrow it down a bit. Why not do Bethesda Terrace as so many of your examples are of this iconic New York spot? Or even Bethesda Terrace and the Literary Walk if you want a bit more range?

Your examples use the light. Think about shooting in the late afternoon and if you want to do night shots do them right after sunset while the sky is still blue before it gets really dark and everything is very contrasty. this is one of the most beautiful times of day to photograph.

If you are shooting with a camera you will need a tripod for the night shots. If you have an iPhone it does a pretty good job of creating a long exposure. Just make sure our night photos are sharp.

And think about how to include people. Take a look at these photos by Bruce Davidson:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/newsroom/environment/bruce-davidson-central-park/