Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Final Project Proposal

“Winter Village At Bryant Park”

It’s the most wonderful time of year! New York City is the place to be during the Holiday Season. From the infamous Rockefeller Christmas Tree to the dazzling window displays, New York City has it all. There are couple places that really goes all out during the holiday season and one of them is Bryant Park. I will be photographing Bryant Park during its holiday season also known as Bryant Park Winter Village. During the Holiday season visitors can stop by the village and drink some hot chocolate or shop at the many Holiday themed pop up shops. Visitors can also glide through the ice and skate at its outdoor ice skating rink. When it’s time to fuel up, visitors can visit the food hall and indulge in some delicious food.

Photographing the Village is no easy task. There are thousands of visitors that visit the Village everyday so, getting that perfect shot is going to be a challenge itself. I will be visiting the park at least 3 different times to expand my photo gallery and portfolio. Some may take place during the day and others during the night. Photographing the village will require all the skills I learned in class as well as on my own free time. I have a couple of ideas that I would like to accomplish composition wise, other than that I plan to shoot freely. I am going to diversify the photos, so that no shoot is going to be the same as the last. I have only been to the Village once, so Photographing this atmosphere is going to be a fun task. Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, so just getting out there and immersing myself into the holiday spirit is something I can’t wait to do. I wouldn’t really consider this as a project but, more so an activity that I would enjoy doing during my free time.

1. rmichals

Bryant Park and the Winter Village is a good topic.

I am sure though that you can take more interesting photos than the ones on your mood board. The first three are just descriptive. Yes, they all show the winter village but are not interesting as photographs.

You are going to want at least one long shot like the one here of the skating rink, something that shows how Bryant Park is surrounded by office buildings. I also think you will want to take advantage of the skating rink and get some photos of skaters. Earlier in the day is less crowded. If you are looking for the drama of direct light, I assume the best time is midday as once the sun goes behind the buildings its diffused light for the rest of the day.

All kinds of people will go through. You can focus on family relationships, the people that work there, or juxtapostions between the haves and the have nots.