Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

HW 1 composition Joel Barbecho

The image that I choose was “The Lams of Ludlow Street” “Drying laundry” image as it really stood out to me with all the colors and the sky with the background of New York City. The image shows clothes being hung on a rope getting air dried with a view of the city, the hangers are only red and pink, this could be the owners favorite colors. The purpose of this photograph could be that drying your laundry doesn’t always have to be in the machine, but it could be with a cool view of New York City on your roof. The image also feels like that New York City is his background and that air drying his clothes on his roof is something that he has always been doing and nobody can tell him anything. The mood/ feeling of this image is giving chill vibes, once you put the clothes to air dry you can sit back crack a cold one and admire the city view as your waiting for the clothes to dry, you could even fold the clothes up there too! The first formal element that I choose to describe this image is “Rule of Thirds” because when you put the lines in the image it points on the rope being used to hang the clothes and the buildings in the background. The second formal element I choose was “leading lines” as it can be seen in the rope that is holding the laundry in a straight line from left to right in the image. The third formal element I choose was “symmetry”, the hangers were all lined up and it looked satisfying to the colors of the hangers all going down in a line. Another element that can be seen in the photograph is “pattern” with the hangers that go from pink to red hung on the rope. 

https://www.thomasholton.com/work/thelamsofludlowstreet

1. rmichals

Photos depend on context for meaning. Within the context of the series and what we know from the other photos of the Lams, they dry their clothes on the roof because they don’t have a dryer and their apartment is tiny. So it is an indicator of their poverty but as you mention, the roof can be a great place to spend time.

You could say this picture uses the rule of thirds in that it is divided horizontally into thirds.

Be careful with the term leading lines. Leading lines lead to the main subject. Here the line of the laundry divided the frame but it can’t really lead to itself.