Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Homework 1 Composition

The Photographer I have chosen is Thomas Holton. I chose the Family Portrait photo, because it really connected with me. Growing up in an Asian Household, I come to realize that Asians make the best of what is given to them. In the Photo, the family of 5 stood tall, in front of their kitchen table as they were surrounded by coats in a seemingly small space. Holten does a really good job of not only focusing on the family but, as well as the environment. This really changed the story of the photo as it revealed much more than a typical family of Five.

In the Photo, Holton uses a technique called leading lines. He placed the subject in the center of the photo and took it at an angle in which the window sill created a line that led to the center of the photo. Holton also uses diagonals in the photo to create a different viewing aspect for viewers. The Clothesline running across the top of the image added a different dimension. Lastly, Holton uses patterns in his photo to really elevate his photo. The light string and coats created a pattern that catches viewers attention. Overall Holton does a really good job of incorporating different compositions to his photo.

1. rmichals

You summarize the feeling in the photo well. We see a family living in impossibly tight conditions but they have a created a supportive, positive environment for their children.

All the things you mention about the photo are true but I would argue that even more importantly, Holton uses the clothing above and the table below as a sort of frame within a frame to not only direct our attention to the family but to characterize their life in this tiny apartment.