Jacquelyn Blain

Conventions

Well for starters I can’t really put into depth as to what genre really means. The best way I can describe “genre” would be probably be the different types of ways something is expressed or shown through life experience, movies, music and/or books/novels. Within many of these genres however we also see the small details that are hidden beneath it that almost connect with other genres but each having their own detailed ways of using what we might call as “theme”. One example could be fiction and nonfiction genre but they have the similar theme that might be “cooking” and this theme could be used as a way the bring characters together through teamwork or as a way to escape reality, which ever one that may be. Sometimes these genres can be used for educational purposes or to tell a personal story based on personal experiences.

For my educational narrative I could talk about my hardships and how certain people with and without knowing helped me step out of my shell and become happier. I can also talk about how I was able to bring myself up when I was at my lowest and how that affected me and my daily life.

Question(s): What is educational narrative? How will I be able to start my educational narrative? What make an “educational narrative” a education narrative? Is educational narrative and genre similar or different in their own way?

1. Jacquelyn Blain

First, theme and genre are two different things. A genre is a type, whereas a theme is an underlying message. We can have the same theme in different genres. A genre is a particular set of things/conventions that go together to create a specific type of text: an instruction manual has pictures and lists of steps. A horror film has jump scares and scary music and lots of gore. Fiction and non-fiction are indeed genres, and the big difference in their conventions is that fiction is about made-up stuff and non-fiction is about real stories. But underneath those big genres are lots and lots of subgenres, each with their own sets of convention.

An EN is about your education — that’s the basic story component that defines it. Conventions include (we’ll talk about these in class): use of “I,” lots of descriptions and examples that are visual, relatable, and a narrative (story).

So pick a story and tell it to us! That’s really it…