Electronic Profile

Hey All!

My name is Julissa Ramos, this is my second semester here at City Tech. I transfered from Buffalo State where I was studying hospitality as well. It wasn’t until my second year that i declared a major because before that i was undecided. I spent two years in Buffalo and came to the sad realization that i did not want to be there any longer so i came back home to Brooklyn. My parents have always been strict about staying in school but i took the year off just working and getting myself situated again. I then came across a trade school called ICE which stands for Institute of Culinary education. Despite it being a culinary school, i was there for their new hospitality management program. My plan B was always City Tech but unfortunately i was late for registration so instead of waiting for the following semester i enrolled in ICE. My experience at ICE wasn’t what i thought it would be. Unfortunately i feel as though i wasted my time and money at this institute when i should have just waited to enroll at City Tech. But enough about my mistakes lol. I’m learning as i go and i’ve came a long way. The hospitality industry has always been my passion. At first my focus was on becoming a chef but after taking a few culinary courses i realized it wasn’t my thing although i loved to cook i just didn’t want to do that for a living. I know my passion was always traveling although i didn’t do much of it, i still dreamed of traveling the world. I also realized my passion for connecting with others and being able to make another persons day better with any minor detail that came from me. The beauty of this industry is the endless amount of opportunities that open up as soon as your foot is in the door. Being a Dominican-American, and having been at both places throughout my life, it’s always caught my attention that i have been blessed to be both. I come from the greatest city in the world, with a background in one of the most beautiful countries in the Carribean. Hospitality is everywhere therefore the amount of jobs created throughout the years is truly amazing. There will always be job opportunities in this field. I even thought about studying this career in Dominican Republic but i then realized it wasn’t something i was ready for just yet. In my country they call it “la carrera del vago” or “the career for the lazy” but in a good way lol. They call it this because it is a fun industry and if it is something you really want to do, all the more fun it will be. They say find a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life. I consider myself a goal oriented individual who is outgoing, caring, passionate, and selfless. The greatest gift i received was the education given to me growing up, it taught me to be humble and to give without expecting anything in return.