NYC Attraction Assignment (due 4/13)

Concierge Marketing Assignment

20% of total course grade

Selection of NYC Attraction is Due Before Class Begins, Week 9

Written Assignment is Due in Class, Week 11

Presentations will be Conducted Week 11

­­

Task

Consider all that New York has to offer visitors and New Yorkers alike. Consider also places in New York that you have never visited but would like to explore; perhaps a museum, an art gallery, a park, a sports arena, a restaurant and so much more. Make a list of these places. Then choose one to visit considering

1) significance to the culture of New York

2) the attraction’s point of difference

3) the target demographic of the attraction.

­­­

After your site visit write an essay describing

1) it’s significance to the culture of NY

2) what makes the attraction unique

3) who is the target demographic

4) examples of hospitality you witnessed

5) areas of improvement in guest service

­

Role and Audience

You are the Concierge of an upscale hotel in Manhattan; you will use your research to communicate to your guests about NYC attractions.

Format

Assignment selections

• Post your essay on OpenLab under NYC Attraction Submission

Written portion, 2-2½ page essay

• APA format and standards, proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling…
  • Minimum of two credible references
  • Exhibit the ability to evaluate the importance of the tourist attraction or historically significant location to the New York City hospitality industry
  • Provide evidence of the importance of employees as a part of the product and how an employee influences the guest’s experience.

Oral presentation

• Students will share their experience with the class

Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this assignment, students will be able to:

• Discuss scope of the hospitality and tourism industry
  • Gather information from observation in regard to the hospitality industry from a local, national and global perspective
  • Evaluate and examine hotel classifications
  • Engage in high impact and industry specific written and oral communication

One Response to NYC Attraction Assignment (due 4/13)

1. Diana Zaro says:

New York City Attraction: Dinosaur BAR-B-QUE
    Diana Zaro
    HGMT 1101
    Professor John Akana
    April 14th 2016
    In the mood for fresh smoked food? Visit Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, it’s a most! This restaurant by far has one of the best I’ll say, Southern orientated food in the city. Importantly this restaurant also have a very important history behind its business. The Dinosaur Bar-B-Que began there business in 1983 as a mobile concession stand using a 55-gallon drum cut in half. The idea was made by John Stage and his two partners at the Harley Rendezvous, a huge motorcycle gathering near Albany, N.Y. As partners they came up with the idea that bikers deserve a good food and that the Dinosaur could be build upon that idea. For five years, the Dinosaur’s home was the road, where they served good bar-b-que at motorcycle shows, fairs, and festivals throughout the Northeast. Around 1988 the Dinosaur decided to settle downtown Syracuse, N.Y., as a quick-service lunch/dinner bar-b-que joint. In 1990, the restaurant increased in size, adding a full bar, full service dining and live music.
    This restaurant has a significant value to New York City because it gives the guest an experience when you visit there. New York is known to welcome all culture influences. We have it all, why not the biker’s road. Right away when you walk in there is a host awaiting to seat you and the atmosphere absolute changes in seconds. To me the change was to southern ways, for example there was classic rock music playing, the restaurant is made out of wood so the smell as well impacts you right away, the structure also really takes you right to a different mindset. Then there a huge bar in the right hand corner, very busy since they have pretty good deals for the alcoholic drinks. The lighting of the restaurant is very dent, there was just enough lighting for you to feel like you have your own private area just for yourself. In my opinion I feel like this attraction targets both families and friends gatherings, but mostly more friendly gathering because of the bar and the private atmosphere.
    The dinosaur I visited was located in 700 W 125th St. I went to this restaurant to have lunch. The waiter was super nice and had very good explaining skills. I had the Sweetheart deal for two since I visited with my sister that has actually been in the restaurant before. The price wasn’t bad at all, the restaurant offers good deals for lunch and dinner. The food itself was actually great and fresh I had the chance to try 3 different types of sides. I also tried an alcoholic drink and dessert. Literally a mouthwatering caramel cheesecake that was intensively fresh in taste.
    Now in the Hospitality front I actually encounter the manager to ask him questions about the restaurant and he was delighted to tell me about it. This is very important because as I witness, the staff provides the guest with a happy atmosphere and comfortability. So as the manager explained the dinosaur history and significance to the city he actually offer to show me the kitchen and make sure I saw how everything is made fresh from scratch. I got to see the macaroni’s and cheese how it was being made, I was also shown which is very important how everything as like the meats, ribs, and chicken is smoked and then cooked. Then we went from the preparing stations to the fridge and showed me how everything is stored and organized. This was very surprising to me because this restaurant really offers there title of freshness and quality and they are not afraid of show it! We was introduced to the staff and they were extremely nice even though we took a couple minutes to disrupt them.
    As like that was the end, even the bathroom is an experience. The dinosaur Bar-B-Que has it in for all, the bathrooms are tagged with graffiti names as like to mark their visit there. All over the outside of the bathroom so it’s pretty ideal and welcoming. There is as well a lot of nice wall paintings with saying that makes guest interested to read specifically also above the toilet. I actually thought that was very unique and I absolutely read them! To finalize dinosaur has a very unique and home welcoming experience to offer. The entire location is determined to make sure your time is made out to be a good time and the staff will make sure to provide the love.

Reference

“Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.” History: Restaurant Group. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. .

“Dinosaur Bar-B-Que – Harlem – New York, NY.” Yelp. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. .