Industry Profile Essay Submission

12 Responses to Industry Profile Essay Submission

1. Dreagut1101 says:

Title: Marriott and the Hotel Trade
    Andrea Gutierrez
    HGMT 1101
    Prof. Akana
    Due Feb 24th, 2016

Who is Bill Marriott and what does it means to work for the Marriott franchise? John Willard “Bill” Marriott, Jr is the Executive Chairman of the Marriott hotels as well as the chairman of the Board of Marriott International, Inc. He helped his father make the Marriott name into a well-known franchise and I for one would like to be a part of that name. As a person in the background or a person at the front desk, my goal is to start from the bottom and work my way to Hotel Manager at a Marriott.

According to the biography posted on Marriott.com, the Marriott lodging company was his father’s John Willard Marriott, Sr., business which started as a small A&W root beer stand. Although J.W. Marriott, Sr. had started the business, it was Bill who learned from his experiences in both the hotels his father opened up and working at Hot Shoppe, the food company, as a young man. Were it not for his father being a hard working pioneer of entrepreneurship, Bill would not have become CEO and chairman of half the Marriott franchise. J.W. Marriott, Sr. may have set up the current frame of “employees come first” philosophy for their company, but it was Bill who started the family’s Marriott Hotel franchise in 1976. In Bill’s biography, it states that he had the grand idea of making their hotel brand into a franchise so that other hotel owners can become part of their business; instead of buying and building new buildings this name sharing would help them expand faster. Bill is a business tycoon that cares about his employees with a name he built strong enough to be heard all around the world and I wish to be a part of his network.

So who is Bill Marriott? A caring and humble entrepreneur. And what does it mean to work for the Marriott franchise? It means I get to work for a company who works to take care of me so that I can become the best version of me and then repay them with hard work and dedication. My goal is to start from housekeeping and work my way up to general management and learn the hotel trade in its totality. I’m in it for the long run and I believe that I can work with a company that will work with me, which will inspire me to work harder to really welcome guests and provide them with the best service I can deliver. With my attention to detail, good customer service, and constant strive to improve my services, I know I will make a great addition to such an influential name that is Marriott.

Bibiography-

Bill Marriott: Achieving success in business and family | Management @Dal 2011. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwlGrxHDMnm

JW Marriott Jr. | J. Willard Marriott Jr. Biography. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2016, from http://www.marriott.com/culture-and-values/jw-marriott-jr.mi

2. Title: Gastronomic Delight at Momofuku Ko

Aquille Pierre

HMGT 1101

Prof. Akana

03.02.16

So what exactly is Momofuku and what role does it play in the world of food? Momofuku Ko is a restaurant located at 8 Extra Place, New York, and founded by David Chang. The restaurant first opened its doors in 2008, and since then has been showered with accolades such as James Beard awards and even two stars in the Michelin guide to name a few. My goal is to obtain a position as line cook in this restaurant, and learn techniques that can better help me in my career as a chef. Once I have spent 1-2 years at this establishment, I would like to work at other restaurants perfecting my craft and ultimately opening my own restaurant someday.

David Chang, known as the “bad boy” of the culinary industry had quite the upbringing into the culinary word. As a child his father wanted nothing more for him than to be a professional golfer, however David refused. Like his father he wanted to embark on a quest of culinary delight. After speaking with his father he set off to The French Culinary Institute, located in New York, which is now called the International Culinary Center. Upon graduating in spring 2000 he landed at job at Mercer kitchen owned by Jean Georges who is renowned in the culinary world. He then came across the refined restaurant named Craft, by word of mouth created by Tom Colicchio, American celebrity chef and host of Top Chef, which airs on Bravo. He merely worked there answering phones and eventually worked at the establishment full-time. After the tragic 9/11 accident David then realized the importance of taking risks, and later opened Momofuku Noodle Bar and later an more then 3 restaurants.

Working under such as talent will not only bring me joy, but more expertise in the field. Many describe him as ambitious, funny, and a hard worker, and Ko would be a welcome opportunity to spread my wings and get down and dirty with the best of them. I would like to start off as a simple line chef then make my way up to greater heights such as Sous-chef or perhaps executive chef. The future holds an infinite amount of possibilities, and I for one would like to be at least one of them. As a chef at Momofuku Ko, I will uphold both the name, and title worthy of such a restaurant, and bring good reputation to not only myself, but my pairs, and David Chang and hone my skills to be the best that I can be, a chef.
    Bibliography:

“David Chang Broke All the Rules.” David Roberts. Times Business, 26 Sept 2013.

‱ http://business.time.com/2013/09/26/david-chang-broke-all-the-rules/

“ The I Chang.” Rob Patronite & Robin Raisfeld. New York Magazine, 22 Jan 2007.

‱ http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/26568/

“Year of the Pig.” Alan Richman. GQ Magazine, 11 Nov 2007.
    http://www.gq.com/story/david-chang-momofuku-manhattan-chef

3. Cha says:

Industry Profile Essay
    Junghwan Cha
    Perspectives in Hospitality HMGT1101
    Professor John Akana
    March 9th, 2016

Paris Baguette is Korean bakery company that is expanding worldwide. The company’s goal is “to become to bread what McDonald’s is to hamburgers” (The Guardian). The core idea of the company is to deliver fresh and high quality French pastries on the local level, rather than pastries that are manufactured in factories. Starting its first franchise store in South Korea in 1988, Paris Baguette has expanded to many different countries including China, Singapore, Vietnam, America, and even countries in Europe like France.
    The history of the company started in 1945. Hur Chang-Sung, the father of Chairman Hur Young-In, opened a local confectionary called ‘Sang-Mi-Dang’ in Hwang-Hae province of Korea. He was able to get butter and sugar easily because of the US Armed Forces stationed nearby. Hur Chang-Sung eventually moved his business to Seoul, where demand was much higher and the potential for growth of his business was greater. After the Korean War in 1950, the mass production his products by manufacturing factories became very successful. The business changed from a storefront to a company, and its name changed to ‘Sam-Lip Food Industry’. In the late 1960s, however, there was more competition between different baking and pastry companies. In response, Hur Chang-Sung started another business to increase the quality of his pastries, due to a rise in demand for higher quality products caused by the economic growth in South Korea. He named the company ‘Shany’. Hur Chang-Sung then bequeathed Sam-Lip Food Industry to his first son and Shany to his second son.
    The second son who inherited Shany is present-day Paris Baguette Chairman Hur Young-In. He sensed that the demand for quality was continuously increasing and made the decision to open a store called ‘Freshna’; he knew that baked- in-store products would be more attractive than pastries made in factories. In 1986 Hur Young-In opened a French style pastry store that baked its products in-store and called it ‘Paris Croissant’. Later in 1988, he made this store a separate franchise company which became today’s ‘Paris Baguette’.

Today, Paris Baguette provides dough to its franchisees; these franchisees do not require special pastry skills to make their own dough for pastries. This reduces labor cost for the franchisees and allows all of Paris Baguette’s products to be consistent in taste, regardless of the branch store. In addition, Hur Young-In studied abroad at the American Institute of Baking, and is now a part of American Bakers Association since 1981. This allowed him to understand the tastes of people in different parts of world.
    The company is known for its French pastries, but it is not just a baking company. In fact, each Paris Baguette store works as a cafĂ©; they offer a wide range of coffee menus and have plenty of tables and seats for customers. My goal is to work in Paris Baguette’s pastry menu development and specialize in cakes someday. It would be a great opportunity to learn more about other things besides pastries; I would be glad to learn about coffee and business management.

References
    Kim Wilsher (2014, August 12) Korea’s Paris Baguette chain expands to … Paris. Theguardian.com
    Mediapen. (2015, February 10) Mek do nal du unm bo nun dong nae bbang jip
 pa ri ba ge ddu hur yong in SPC hoi jang [Local bakery desiring to become like Mc Donalds
 Paris Baguette Hur Yong –In Chairman of SPC Group]. Mediapen.com
    Neal Ungerleider (2014, June 24) Starbucking: Why Your Next Neighborhood Coffee Shop Could Come From Korea. Fastcompany.com
    Paris Baguette Family Inc. (2015) The Company. parisbaguettefamily.com
    RestaurantNews.com. (2015, November 30) Paris Baguette Franchising – Plans for Growth in the U.S. RestaurantNews.com

4. Nexmaury Gil says:

La Sirena
    Nexmaury Gil
    HMGT 1101
    Professor John Akana
    March 8, 2016

La Sirena, (The Mermaid) in Spanish is a brand new restaurant that opened by the famous Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich. Located in the Maritime Hotel, Chelsea in New York City, it is a seasonal Italian restaurant that opened this February 11th, 2016. Theirs is not much history on the restaurant itself as it is so new to the public. There is on the other hand very amazing qualities and experiences that the restaurant offers to everyone. First of all, let’s start with the Chefs that opened this great restaurant. Mario Batali a very well-known American chef and even culinary writer. Batali is a professional and as well as an expert when it comes to Italian traditions and Italian cooking. His high quality knowledge of Italian cuisine makes La Sirena a great restaurant to try out some amazing Italian food in New York. Mario Batali also teasing the restaurants opening with many Instagram pictures of the types of food that will be in the menu for the restaurant. . Joe Bastianich another American Italian restaurateur and winemaker only adds to the quality and services of the Italian restaurant, as well to La Sirena’s amazingly massive bar with quality beverages and perhaps new types of wines and cocktails. They take the hospitality and culinary industry with extraordinary professionalism and La Sirena is just another addition to their expansion in the industry and media; as both Batali and Bastianich also own other fantastic restaurants/food spots around New York City like Eataly, Otto, and Del Posto etc. They now opened La Sirena in place of the, “Long-standing La Bottega Restaurant,” in the Maritime stated in an article about La Sirena’s opening. Another advantage about this restaurant is that it is just huge, according to a reliable source ” The restaurant will ultimately seat about 300 people once the patio opens, not including the private dining rooms or bar.” And with a broad menu and size this restaurant can welcome so many guests to try out really good food. With that, my goals in this organization is to live up to the hype and create real amazing quality service for those who are trying out our amazing Italian cuisine and more. Even work myself up to work on pace with Mario Batali and Joe, perhaps even pen my own big restaurant one day based on my experience with working in this business. Seeing that they not only own big deal restaurants but also present themselves on TV and media makes the processes of being on their level challenging but great.

References

http://lasirena-nyc.com/the-restaurant/
    http://www.tastingtable.com/dine/national/mario-batali-new-restaurant-maritime-hotel-la-sirena
    http://ny.eater.com/2016/2/9/10950880/la-sirena-nyc-maritime

5. Ana says:

Industry Profile Essay

Ana Deolio

HGMT 1101

Prof. Akana

03/09/2016

Who is Bartolo Valastro Jr.? Bartolo Valastro Jr. who is also known as “Buddy” Valastro is a fourth generation baker who was born on March 3, 1977 in Hoboken, New Jersey. Buddy grew up learning how to bake by his father Bartolo Valastro Senior who owned and operated Carlos Bakery alongside his wife Marry Valastro. At the age of 11 Buddy as well as his four sisters Grace Faugno, Maddalena Castano, Marry Sciarrone, and Lisa Gonzales began to work in the Bakery where their father taught them everything about running a family business. At the age of 17 Buddy’s father died, he being the only son made him step up to be the man of the house and take responsibility for his family. Today he is the third owner of Carlos Bakery, he is married to Elisabetta “lisa” Valastro and has four kids Sofia Valastro the oldest, Bartolo “Buddy” Valastro Jr. III, Marco Valastro, and Carlo Salvatore Valastro.

Bartolo Valastro Senior is from Lipari the largest of the Aeolian Island off the northern coast of Sicily, Italy. According to the TLC website Buddy Senior immigrated to the U.S.A. when he was 13 with his family. Buddy seniors talent and love for baking came from his father who comes from a generation of bread bakers. Because Buddy seniors dad didn’t want to see him experience the hardship of working long late hours as a bread baker he found him a job in a pastry shop, Carlos Bakery who was owned and opened by Carlos Guastaffero in 1910, There Buddy senior fell in love with Mary Tubito who he married a few years later. In 1964 Buddy senior bought the Bakery, he kept the name and moved it to a different location, 95 Washington street Hoboken, NJ which is still there today. Buddy seniors dream was to make Carlos Bakery a household name, after his passing in 1994 Buddy senior is remembered for his generosity to the community and his kind heart, qualities that he has passed down to his son Buddy Jr.. With the help of his family, mother, sisters, brother in-laws, and cousins Carlos Bakery is now one of the most recognizable Bakeries out there. People from all over the world including myself have lined up in front of the Bakery just to buy a cannoli or some type of pastry or cake. According to the Carlos Bakery website, Carlos Bakery has received national recognition attracting tourist from all over the world, Buddy has been featured in numerous publications such as Modern Bride, and Knot, has been voted by the Today’s Show viewers best in America, has appeared in the Food Network for his sugar art designs Specialty Cakes and Wedding Cakes. Buddy has also expanded Carlos Bakery to many states including Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey where he has multiple Bakeries. He also has his own show on the TLC network called Cake Boss. If today his father Bartolo Valastro Senior were to be alive he would be super proud of the success of the Bakery and to see his dreams coming true.

My goal in life is to one day own my bakery and to make it a household name just like Buddy did for his family. If I ever have the opportunity and privilege to work for Buddy I would like to start from scratch and learn as much as I can from the “Master Baker” as he is also known by. Buddy is the main reason why I want to be a baker/pastry chef he inspired me to pursue this career. Just by watching Cake Boss on TV Buddy has taught me so much, before him I didn’t know what fondant was, modeling chocolate or gum paste. I can’t imagine all the things ill learn if I ever got to work for him. Buddy is also kind and a person who gives back to others and the community qualities that are very important to me as well.

Bibliography
    About Us. (n.d.). Retrieved March 8, 2016, from http://bakeshop.carlosbakery.com/about-carlos-bakery/
    Cake Boss Bios. (n.d.). Retrieved March 8, 2016, from http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/cake-boss/bios/
    Tedder, L. (2013, May 3). The Life of Buddy Valastro. Retrieved March 8, 2016, from https://prezi.com/t0cgy1jmegb2/the-life-of-buddy-valastro/

6. Meisa says:

Running Head: Rated as one of the best in the world
    Meisa Richards
    HGMT 1101
    Prof. Akana
    Due: March 9th, 2016

Event planner, style guru, cocktail chief and business man Colin Cowie has made a career of creating extraordinary lavish events for celebrities and regular people alike. Born in Zambia, but educated in South Africa, Colin has stated that he,
    “
 he had a fairly informal lifestyle there and used to entertain a lot in a relaxed manner, but always with attention to detail. Around 1984, I just didn’t see a future for myself in South Africa and moved to Los Angeles. Happily, I’d looked up some friends, who were about to have a small dinner party for about 10 people. My friend asked if I had any ideas. I said, “Let me take care of everything,” and I did. The dinner was a great success, and it turned out that all the guests were millionaires. They all started asking if I’d handle their dinner parties. In virtually no time, I had a thriving catering business going, Colin Cowie Lifestyle. I’m a very hard worker. And organized. It helps.”

That meeting of providence led to what has become Colin Cowie Enterprises a multi million-dollar, multi-faceted enterprise encompassing Weddings, Life & Style and Hospitality. Working with everyone from Tom Cruise to Oprah Winfrey, Colin Cowie has planned it all.

Not one to rest on his accolades Colin has branched out, inking deals with renowned design company Lenox and conquering the affordable home market category with his collaboration with home shopping channel QVC. Colin believes that whether it is a multi-million dollar soirĂ©e or an affordable dinner with loved ones it should all be conducted with the goal of truly enjoying the company you are in. He has stated that his goal is, “
 to inspire people to entertain and to spend quality time together.”
    I have wanted to work for Colin Cowie since I was a child. Watching him speak about color, design, cocktails, food placement and the artistry of planning is truly inspiring. My plans are to work for Colin Cowie Enterprises as a producer, slowly working my way up the ladder to senior producer of events. Colin stated in a speech, “
I believe in my people, I wouldn’t be a fraction of what I am without the team of people that I have
. With any big event I always provide hair and makeup for my producers
” I want to work for a boss who believes in my ability to produce and to do a great job, who is caring and has an infectious personality, who can plan lavish parties while also recognizing the idea that not everyone lives in that manner and creates more affordable product line for the everyday consumer. Colin has stated that, “
there is nothing more thrilling, rewarding, or fabulous than making people happy. And to think I get paid well to spend other people’s money making other people happy — I can’t imagine anything better.” I couldn’t agree with him more.

References
    Chertoff, A. (2012, June 6). Celebrity Event Planner Colin Cowie’s Secrets to Throwing an A-list Wedding at Any Budget. Retrieved March 8, 2016, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anne-chertoff/celebrity-event-planner-colin-cowie_b_1569539.html

Colin Cowie on How the Industry Is Changing [Video file]. (2015, August 24). Retrieved March 9, 2016, from http://www.bizbash.com/colin-cowie-on-how-the-industry-changing/washington/story/30928/#.Vt_JrNDiHPo

Silverman, R. (n.d.). Starry, Starry Night Anyone Can Throw a Great Party, Says Hollywood’s Colin Cowie. All It Takes Is the Right Attitude – and Some Great Ideas. Retrieved March 09, 2016, from https://www.questia.com/article/1G1-69133423/starry-starry-night-anyone-can-throw-a-great-party

S. (2010, September 16). In His Shoes: Colin Cowie, Event Planner. Retrieved March 6, 2016, from http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Celebrity-Event-Planner-Colin-Cowie-11012968

Turman, K. (n.d.). The Name is Cowie, Colin Cowie The Man with the Golden Touch, Event Planner Extraordinaire By Katherine Turman. Retrieved March 9, 2016, from http://www.davidlv.com/2012/06/think/Colin_Cowie.php

7. Shuhong Wu says:

Title: Industry Profile Essay
    Shuhong Wu
    HGMT 1101
    Professor John Akana
    March 8th, 2016

Working in Disney became my dream since I began my study in Hospitality Management. As most of the children, Disney’s cartoons companied and decorated my childhood. Working in Disney is a interesting and challenging job. As we all know it is not easily for job seeker to become a staff of Disney because of their high requirements. Every staff is proud of being one of the members.
    The Disney mission statement is simple: “We create happiness.” I am glad to obey enterprise tenet because I am absolutely agree on the concept. I will follow Disney service model. Begin with a smile, make eye contact and use body language, respect and welcome all guests, value the magic, initiate guest contact and creative service solutions. What I am going to do is try my best to provide my professional service and delight customers.
    The Shanghai Disney Resort comprising six themed lands, a 420-key Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, an 800-key Toy Story Hotel, Disneytown and the Wishing Star Park, will soon open its gates to visitors, with its grand opening celebration scheduled on 16th June, 2016. This world-class resort, located in the Pudong District of Shanghai, will be Disney’s first destination resort in mainland China. Reportedly worth US$5.5 billion, the Shanghai Disney Resort is a joint venture between Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group, a Chinese state-run consortium.
    Disney develops new market in developing country like China. As a staff of Disney land, everyone have to study various cultures from different countries because we need to greet and help customers when we see them. The theme parks and hotels’ facilities in China and the United State should be great different. Service should be provided according to customers’ habit. Further more, Disney’s staffs are glad to help if customers require special service.
    I studied Disney’s five steps leadership when I was in college. It is provide clear expectations and standards. Communicate these expectations through demonstration, information, and examples. Hold cast members accountable for their feedback. Coach through honest and direct feedback. Recognize, reward, and celebrate success.
    MyMagic+ upgrades Disney’s FastPass program to FastPass+—a much more high-tech (read: paperless) variation of the traditional service. Using either an app or a dedicated website (www.mydisneyexperience.com), individuals can reserve access to experiences both before departure (book early for popular rides) and on-the-fly (finished your first ride of the day? Book another for the afternoon). And since all reservations are made electronically, there is no need to get paper tickets in order to skip the line. Just show up within the designated window of time (generally an hour), tap with your “MagicBand” and enter. The “MagicBand” replaces several variations of paper or plastic cards and tickets (and even cash) used in the passed. It can be worn as a bracelet and uses an RFID signal to serve as an all-purpose pass around the resort.
    It is shown that Disney advocates high technology service. The magic in Disney can be performed with high-tech equipment. It makes impossible into possible. During working in Disney, people will deal with a lot of high-tech equipment. Staffs should be trained how to use the equipment in time so that they can tech customers how to use their high-tech facilities. These shows it is different other theme park. All of these steps are in order to offer better and quicker service for customers. Also Disney makes a contribution to environment and sustainable development.

References
    Walker, John R., “Introduction to Hospitality.” Pearson Higher Education, Inc. 6th Ed
    Unknown, “Shanghai Disney Resort to Open in June 2016.” HVS Global Hospitality Report. January 2016, P2, 1/5P Print.
    Drillinger, Meagan. “Discerning Disney.” Luxury Travel Advisor. June 2014, P14, P3, Print.

8. Marriott Vacations Worldwide
    Alison McGovern
    HGMT 1101
    Professor Akana
    9 March 2016

In 1984, Marriott International became a part of the timeshare industry with the acquisition of American Resorts on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. Thirty-two years later, the company has flourished as a leader in the vacation ownership industry with more than 60 resorts and over 420,000 members enjoying their dream vacations across the globe. Marriott Vacations Worldwide, as we now know it, is well known for being a leader in timeshare resorts with locations in the continental US, Hawaii, the Caribbean, and parts of Europe and Asia. The company has maintained a strong bond with Marriott International, and in turn holds the same high standards in providing for members and guests.
    J. Willard Marriott, founder of Marriott hotels, started in the business at a young age. He began working on a farm as a kid, eventually put himself through college, and went on to have a chain of restaurants on the east coast, an airline catering service, and at the time of his death in 1985, the Marriott Corporation had 143 hotels and resorts in 95 cities around the world. Marriott is a role model for young entrepreneurs everywhere.
    J. Willard Marriott once said, “Great companies are built by people who never stop thinking about ways to improve the business.” I read this quote years ago, before I knew who Marriott was, but the words still stuck with me. I agree with Marriott, and I believe it is important to have people in the business who care about and respect the company they work for and the people they work with. That being said, I hope gain experience in many areas at Marriott, from the front desk to the kitchen, and eventually work my way up to a management position. I consider myself to be an enthusiastic worker with excellent customer service skills, and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to benefit the Marriott Corporation and keep guests comfortable, content, and coming back.

Biblography

Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Overview. (n.d.). Retrieved March 1, 2016, from http://careers.marriottvacationsworldwide.com/overview.shtml

The Editors of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. (n.d.). ‘J. Willard Marriott, American Businessman’. Retrieved March 2, 2016, from http://www.britannica.com/biography/J-Willard-Marriott

9. Anne Huang says:

Industry Leader / Organization Profile
    Anne Huang
    HMGT 1103 – E501
    Professor John Akana
    3/9/2016

The legendary Waldorf Astoria Hotel is one of the most recognizable hotel in Manhattan, New York City. It all started when millionaire William Waldorf Astor open the 13-story Waldorf Hotel in 1893. 4 years later, the Waldorf was joined by the 17-story Astoria Hotel, founded by his cousin, John Jacob Astor IV. Soon shortly after John Jacob Astor IV and William Waldorf Astor passed away, it was the closing of the first Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. It was demolished in 1929 to make way for the construction of the Empire State Building. Waldorf Astoria gained international recognition for its extravagant dinner parties, and is often the center of political and business conferences. In 1931, the second Waldorf – Astoria hotel opened in its current location on Park Avenue, as the tallest and largest hotel in the world. President Herbert Hoover, in a radio broadcast from the White House, congratulated the new hotel, “The opening of the new Waldorf Astoria is an event in the advancement of hotels, even in New York City. It carries great tradition in national hospitality
 marks the measure of nation’s growth in power, in comfort and in artistry
 an exhibition of courage and confidence to the whole nation
” Moreover, Conrad Hilton acquired management rights to the hotel on October 12, 1949, and the Hilton Hotels Cooperation bought the hotel outright in 1972. It underwent a $150 renovation by Lee Jablin in the 1980’s and early 1990’s and in October 2014 it was announced that the Anbang Insurance Group of China has purchased the Hotel for US $1.95 billion, making it the most expense hotel ever sold. Working for one the most recognizable hotel is an honor. My career goal is to become a successful general hotel manager or a manager of the spa department. I hope to become a strong leader and be someone who people can depend on. I want to be able to couch others, and develop people because I believe everyone is talented and anybody can improve their work ethnics with help of each other.

Work Cited Page
    ‱ OVER A CENTURYOF HISTORY &UNIQUE HERITAGE. (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://www.waldorfnewyork.com/about-the-waldorf/hotel-history.html

‱ Iconic Waldorf Astoria Hotel Changes Hands. (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://www.history.com/news/iconic-waldorf-astoria-hotel-changes-hands

10. Jesus Rodriguez
    HMGT 1101
    Professor Akana
    Industry Profile Essay

I have been very fortunate to be hired as one the cooks of Onomea. The restaurant has an amazing location in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and it contains the type of experience that I need to influence me into creating the type of fusion food that I want incorporate in the restaurant that I want to open up in a few years from now. Ms. Crystalyn Costa, you have inspired me to be creative and enjoy the taste of Hawai’i that I’ve grown to love during my brief three-years on the island of Oahu. The extravagant culture, and the amazing food that has been brought to my attention and I have the best of both worlds’, Hawaiian cuisine in Brooklyn.
    Ms. Costa, knowing that you grew Hilo, Hawai’i and migrated to this amazing city to provide authentic Hawaiian cuisine and still at the age of twenty-six, in this industry you have already achieved something very spectacular, you are providing an amazing culture shock to the borough of Brooklyn. But even with such an amazing restaurant and a great location, there will always be critics that will try and take away what you have invested in. I grew up right in the middle of Brooklyn and Queens until I was twenty-years-old, enjoying the comfort of the restaurant business of New York City from various different cultures, but it wasn’t until I joined the Army and was luckily stationed in Schofield Barracks, Hawai’i with the intention of coming back to New York and studying what I have always aspired to be, a chef.
    I lacked the diversity of food always having dined in New York City, until it was time for me to move my life briefly to Hawai’i and experience culture and amazing food that I can only remember from my time there. From the variety of plate lunches, to the Loco Moco, to the very tasteful poke bowls, and of course a great snack in Spam Musubi. The epitome of Hawaiian cuisine are the mom and pop spots that I always went to. Those small drive-inn restaurants influenced me into creating a certain menu for my future restaurant that I hope to open within the next five-years, creating a Caribbean-Hawaiian fusion that I know will overtake the city of New York. That is why I applied to your restaurant, I wanted the experience of cooking Hawaiian food and understanding the restaurant operations here in New York City, as I said before, I have the best of both worlds’.
    I believe that you are a great inspiration to most that aspire to be a restauranteur at your age. Given that quality, I know I will be a great asset to the team, and you will be a great role model for me for years to come. I will ensure that I will do my absolute best to provide the authenticity that this city deserves. I will strive to continue to make Onomea a household name in Brooklyn and hopefully around New York City. I hope to learn an enormous amount from you and the experience that I will acquire, will be a testimony of your work.

REFERENCE PAGE
    Mishan, L. (2013). Family Recipes From a Hawaiian Kitchen. Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/25/dining/reviews/hungry-city-onomea-in-williamsburg.html?_r=0#

Onomea | Authentic Hawaiian Cuisine. (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://onomeanyc.com/

11. Liqing gong says:

Industry profile Essay
    Liqing Gong
    HMGT 1101
    Prof. Akana
    03.09.16

Lady M Confections “prides itself on creating the freshest and finest cakes and confectionary delights.” Its pastry chefs follow recipes that have been refined over the years to provide the highest quality in taste and appearance. Because of its special care and attention in creating cakes, Lady M began by selling cakes to New York City’s top restaurants and food establishments in 2002. It’s classic and most popular dessert is the Mille Crepes cake, made from twenty paper-thin handmade crepes, layered with a crĂšme filling and topped with a sugary glaze. Lady M has been operating six boutiques in United States. In addition, Lady M made its international franchise boutiques in Hong Kong and Singapore.
    Ken Romaniszyn founded Lady M in 2004. Ken is a Hawaiian native. His inspiration for Lady M grew from his travels throughout Asia and the summers. He spent with his grandmother in Japan. His grandmother introduced him to Japanese patisseries. He operated Lady M, after graduating from business school. He also studied pasty at the International Culinary Center (formerly French Culinary Institute) and personally oversees the development of the Lady M creations. It succeeds so gorgeously because it is wildly delicious and clever design. In addition, any number of decent pastry chefs could have come up with it. However, they did not.
    I remember I tasted the Mille Crepes was in summer, 2013. Once I tasted its cake, there was no going back. It was so delicious, not too sweet. It is exactly what I like. Most bakeries are born out of love, butter, and modest ambition, but not Lady M. Lady M is unique so far. After that, I deiced to be a pastry chef. I love to eat, especially dessert. Lady M is the best I have ever try.

reference:
    Lady M home page “Welcome”
    http://www.ladym.com/

Lady M confections by Paige Burris
    http://paigeburris.weebly.com/lady-m.html

magazine, The way we eat: Building a Modern, Multistoried Dessert by AMANDA HESSER (MAY 15, 2005)

12. Adnan Ahmed says:

Adnan Ahmed
    Prof. Akana
    HMGT1101
    February 24, 2016
    Lawrence Page, widely known as Larry Page was born in Michigan in 1973, Larry Page’s parents were both computer experts, so it wasn’t really a surprise that he studied computer engineering at Stanford University. He met a man named Sergey Brin, and together, Page and Brin created a search engine that listed results according to the popularity of the pages, calling it Google. After raising one million dollars from family, friends and other investors, the pair launched the company in 1998. Google has since become the world’s most popular search engine, receiving an average of 5.9 billion searches per day in 2013, making Page and Brin billionaires. A research project at Stanford University, Page and Brin created a search engine that listed results according to the popularity of the pages, after concluding that the most popular result would often be the most useful. They called the search engine Google after the mathematical term googol, which is the number one followed by on hundred zeros. In 2006, Google purchased the most popular website for user-submitted streaming videos, YouTube, for $1.65 billion in stock. In October 2013, he was ranked No. 17 on Forbes’ 2013 “Most Powerful People” list. Larry Page being one of the world’s most famous billionaires, has a net worth of over 30billion dollars. Larry Page, along with Sergey Brin, invented the world’s most popular search engine to date, “Google”. Google has an estimated 300 million users per day, with more than 2 billion searches conducted in a day, making Google one of the most visited websites on the internet. The amount of money that is grossed creates high amounts of expenditures and Larry has the plan of giving free Wi-Fi for the whole world. Also an internet service his company offers called Google Fiber, serves 1 GB per second download speed and even TV now at a much lower price than conventional brands. Google Maps and Google Earth were also ground breaking programs Larry has founded. All in all an overall perceptional business man to a kind hearted person that wants to make the world a better place.