Filicia Hopkinson Journal Entry 14

November 30, today I showed up to for my internship to find that my supervisor, the art director, was not in for the day. So for today I get a free day. I have to see if it was just a family emergency or if I don’t have to come in for the week. Hopefully, she is not sick.

December 1, so I came in today and was told I would be designing a holiday postcard for the college. I was not sure how many designs I would need to have done by the end of the day but I decided to have at least three done. Before I did anything I started thinking up words one would associate with the winter and holiday season. If something was too cliche, I would cross it out until I could come up with a suitable idea for it. This continued for about an hour before I began sketching, horrible little sketches, but sketches nonetheless. I knew I had to incorporate the either the word “joy” or “peace.” For both of the designs I chose the word “joy” since it was the shortest and I had at least two ideas for them. In one idea I decided the make the word “joy” into gingerbread cookies. I was very hungry so I have no idea why I tortured myself like that. The second one, the word “joy” would be made out of snow, I chose a holiday looking font by the name of Wallington. It is a pretty nice font.