Post #2—‘Sekou Noel and the Office of Secrets’

So my first day working in City Tech’s Design office was okay I guess. I got the internship from Professor Chen who was sitting in my 3D modeling class on the first day. He asked at the beginning of class if anyone was interested in applying for a fall internship, mentioned his design studio needed interns and that all modules were welcome. He didn’t mention it was the schools in-house design studio specifically, but hey…I’m not mad.

The office itself is generally quiet. I have my own office to work in and I sit draw for 6 hours with my headphones on. That’s basically my intern experience so far; my pulse pounding, edge-of your-seat, exciting badass internship. On my first day, Professor Chen gave me the option to either work on school related projects or work on his personal projects. I chose (STUPIDLY) to work on the school projects, and as a result was bored to tears.

Basically the school has an instagram account that nobody follows, like seriously the school president could post pictures of himself embezzling money; pictures with him on yachts and stuff with wads of cash and a caption reading “Here’s your 2015 tuition!! Hahaha!! Ya’ll can’t stop me!”#thuglife ; and nobody would know.

All jokes aside, the first task I was given was to do a portrait of these tech students who got internships with top companies; something nice that would look great on instagram. I was only given one very tiny image of the five of them with no other reference material, so rendering exact likeness was next to impossible. On top of that, it seemed like every composition I came up with was canned due to how I placed the figures.

“This Person should be in front of that one because he did the most work with this program….. that person got this award and needs to have a swirling halo around their head”; I wasn’t okay with placing people differently in the composition according to how inflated their ego was; I felt the bottom line was that they all were being honored, therefore they all should have been represented equally in the image, not hierarchically by who did what.

Ultimately I ended up dropping the project in favor of working on Professor Chen’s personal work which is more varied and interesting, and I’m not required to visually coddle egos.