Huseyin Akis – Blog Entry #4

Today is September 29, it has been a few weeks since I started interning at City Tech Visual Communications. I have adjusted quite nicely to my work schedule and to the people that work at the Visual Communications office. Mr. Vargas is a cool supervisor, he gives me great things to work on. The first two weeks, I worked on masking out the backgrounds of the Dura Project and City Tech photos. There was one photo of the Dura Project where a woman was holding a solar panel. The solar panel had the reflection of the sky and I had to use the clone tool to get rid of the reflection.

This past week Mr. Vargas gave me a new project. I had to create a sign using a symbol and typography to show City Tech Wi-Fi. The sign is to tell students, where there’s Wi-Fi at City Tech. Last week on Tuesday and Wednesday; I did research on Wi-Fi symbols and thumbnail sketches. It was a long process; I did a lot of thumbnail sketches before I got to my final sketch. No, complaints though because I missed doing this and I enjoyed every moment of it.

This week I started working on the sign in Illustrator CC 2014. I m nearly finished, I have to add the final touches and might have to make a few revisions. I have to say it was a challenge working with typography, such as finding the right font, placing the type in the symbol and positioning it. To make things a little easier Mr. Vargas scanned in my thumbnail sketch and I used it as a guide. It definitely made things easier, I was able to work faster with the type.