Journal #2 Stephanie Venegas

After our meeting last week, the guys at Tribe asked me how I felt about packaging design and my eyes lit up. I absolutely love packaging, and these guys are giving me the opportunity to design their accessory line. Needless to say it was a huge honor. I mean, I sell these products on a daily basis, so the thought of selling someone a box of bar tape that I designed is pretty awesome.

The first project they asked me to design the packaging for their bar tape. Mitch and Wyatt explained what they needed from me, which was essentially a mechanical. I was very fortunate to have learned how to create mechanicals through Professor Brodeur in his packaging design class. Also, they gave me a few examples of what they wanted, which were from their competitors. I had absolutely free reign to design whatever I wanted, which was extremely refreshing. I submitted the files along with some logo concepts for the wheel set box, which they also requested.

When I came in this week, Wyatt wanted to tweak a few things in the files. Once I was done we printed miniature versions of the boxes. I must say the bar tape boxes looked adorable! After both the wheel set and bar tape designs were approved, Mitch and Wyatt gave me my next assignment: design the handlebar packaging. Overall I love what these guys are throwing my way, and the environment that they have created is really awesome.