Journal Entry #1 (Sean Beharry)

I started interning for the Greater New York Postal Consumer Council, located at 380 33rd St. It is a subsidiary of the USPS. The mission of the GNYPCC is to help business mailers who send out large bulks of mail save money and time. The board at the GNYPCC are older and aren’t familiar with the latest trends in technology. They want me to manage their website and update its content daily. Also they want me to communicate with their web developer who they hired to design the site, so I can help improve it by telling the web developer what needs to be changed.

On my first day before my interview, they invited me to a client meeting so I could observe and get to know the company a bit. During the meeting I met business owners and people of all types, from Con Ed, from the United Nations, to a start up print press from the Bronx.

My boss Michael is pretty cool, he told me to network with his clients so I can find more work and make connections. I basically already had the position before I got there, but they wanted to meet me. So the interview included Michael, and four other people from the board, and of course myself. One of the board members graduated from the same High School as me, it was funny because he approached me and asked if I went to John Adams, and he was pretty excited we were both alumni.

For the rest of the day I was with Wai Chow and Migdalia Cabrera, who are basically my supervisors. I answered any questions Wai and Migdalia had about the website because they needed things to be explained. They told me when they told the web developer to do things, they would do it their own way and not the way they asked. So I will be their translator for the web site. We had a conference call with their web developer Parker Webb, I found out the info I needed such as if the website was designed using Word Press, and if Google Analytics was set up. I then had Parker Webb make me an account for Word Press and Google Analytics ,so I would have access to update the site.

I had a pretty good first day.

One thought on “Journal Entry #1 (Sean Beharry)

1. Joel Mason

Dear Sean,

I’m glad to learn you finally obtained a position. In general, your writing is clear and informative. However, you have a tendency to write run-on sentences. Here is an example: “One of the board members graduated from the same High School as me, it was funny because he approached me and asked if I went to John Adams, and he was pretty excited we were both alumni.” Here’s a simpler way to express the thought: “One of the board members approached me and asked if I attended John Adams High School. He was pretty excited because it turned out, we were both alumni.”

Sincerely;,

Professor Mason