Journal 7th Entry – Mohamad

This week I had to continue the Council District reports that I was working on last time. So I was done with the fiscal year FY 2013-2014, and I had to start with the year 2014-2015. I was a little surprised because it was from July 1 2014 till Feb 28 2015, so technically it wasn’t a full FY but still considered as one, because there are certain times that they should send the reports to the officials for review otherwise they won’t review them. One thing I noticed Is that these reports are categorized in five folder, each is made for a borough. As I mentioned before Manhattan is number one, I had to do twelve reports for it, then Bronx with twelve reports too. Brooklyn is number three with eighteen reports, then Queens with fourteen reports and finally Staten Island with only three reports. So I got curious and asked my supervisor why does Brooklyn have the most reports although it isn’t the biggest borough in size? He said that in Brooklyn, there are a lot of buildings that are old and deteriorating, not to forget that it is the number one when it comes to population. Plus, he added that there are a lot of led paint poisoning in Brooklyn, and that is because little kids eat the peeled paint, which has a sweet taste like candy, so at HPD they receive a lot of led paint poisoning reports from Brooklyn. I am happy to learn new stuffs about the boroughs from this job, it gets more and more interesting with time.