WL Blog #12

The last week was very productive at the internship. We learned how to use a somewhat ancient looking machine that uses air to make brochure folds.   It uses two presise measurement rulers that are designed to be adjusted based on the dimensions of the paper you’re using. For 8.5 by 11 we need to have both measuring on E. Its quite interesting and we [myself and the other interns] will have to use it going forward as our superiors want nothing to do with that machine.

We also learned how to use an extremely long printer that you must load a huge roll onto, sort of like toilet paper! You then feed the sheet to the printer and if its aligned properly, the printer will cut the edge of the sheet in a straight line just as assurance and then your project will print after clicking through the various menu options that you need.

Also over the course of the week, I worked on a new project, which was a 24 by 36 poster that will be for a specific workplace training in the city. I wasn’t given much creative direction for this one, except that I did not have to use a photo, and to stick to the branding of the colors. They were purple and gold. Ultimately I used the pen tool to create some swirls that allowed the text to sit snug within a visual frame, and it allowed me to fill up most of the empty space around the entire canvas.   I also started my African American Heritage project over again…just the map part. I’m realizing now that creating a map is way more difficult than I anticipated. But we’ll see how that goes in the future. The deadline for that project is the end of December or early January the latest.