WL Blog #11

Last week was surprising.   HRA’s only day off was Thanksgiving itself. Many people didn’t show up on Friday but the design team was there working. That was a very interesting experience since I’m used to being off on Friday from CUNY’s thanksgiving break weekend and public schools before that. This week I spent working on my new African American Heritage month idea. I was planning to spice up the map by adding symbols to the edges of the paper. These symbols are on the actual national burial ground monument and are varied; some are religious, other are more spiritual, and that is the best part of it. There is no exclusivity to these symbols, that they can represent anyone who was buried here; these symbols can represent anyone today as well. I re-created 10 of the symbols in Illustrator and began dotting them around the sheet. Finally I scrapped out my old map. It was just a childish, color-based illustration that didn’t really align with the concept at large, which is to create an old map of different hallowed grounds.

Another project I worked on was a children’s calendar flyer [for the children’s calendar I worked on earlier in the semester]. This flyer just needed revisions so my supervisor handed it down to me. The revisions required simple date modifications, a few text replacements and omissions and a bit of picture replacements. There was a print and a web version and both had similar revisions. Throughout the week I also had to prepare some files for printing at our exterior print shop. In order to do so I had to find the files by specific name on the server, and load them into a folder that is named after the assignment number of that project. The folder name is usually a ridiculous number. After that is said and done I had to make sure that the color properties were correct and that they were hires files. On to the next week I suppose.