WL Blog #4

This week was amazing. I got the internship! I went to the interview with Linda at PSC. She highlighted 3 graphic design positions available and asked me to rank them in order of preference from 1 to 3. 1 would be my first choice, etc. My first choice seemed to be the best choice and the only choice to be honest. The others were more of office work and another option was really nothing relating to design. Linda got back to me within 30 minutes telling me that HRA loved my resume and that they wanted an interview ASAP with me. Linda directed me to 150 Greenwhich St. which happens to be 4 WTC. I was instantly taken back by the sheer grandness of the location. Inside the lobby, men with suits work the reception desks and security and give out visitor passes only if you are on the guest list. I got on elevators that have no buttons inside and operate through smart panels on the lobby walls. On the 30th floor, Joanna, my future supervisor was awaiting alongside her co worker Laila. They interviewed me and what stood out on my resume was Pizza Enthusiast. For once in my life, being myself and listing things I love on a resume helped me and further solidified my perception of how I want to navigate the world: to break molds and make my own path. After reviewing my resume, discussing my portfolio and having lots of laughs they decided to take me. Laila was once an intern for HRA, and worked under Joanna. Laila also graduated from City Tech and thus has a strong desire to help me out. She said “I have love for my people that come where I cam from and I want to help City Tech kids today by giving them opportunities.” After that was all said and done I left gleefully and snapped a picture of the 4 WTC entrance for social media. The next step was to return to Linda in order to confirm my tax papers validity and in order to receive some time cards for submission. We’ll have to wait and see how these final few steps play out before I get to start.