Robert Burns

IMG_1857IMG_1856

As I was walking down “The Mall” at Central Park (a literary walk in Central Park with the most horticultural features) I came across a statute of a man sitting on a tree stump. As I read the panel next to the sculpture I learned that this man was Robert Burns, Scotland’s national poet. Surprisingly, being Scotland’s national poet, he did not make much money off of his poems but they did bring him fame. Poems such as “Scots. Wha Hae”, “Tam O’Shanter” and “To a Mouse.” What intrigued me the most about this sculpture was Robert Burns pose. He was sitting on a tree stump and on his feet is a poem he dedicated to his lost love, Mary Campbell. He also had a quill pen in his hand and was facing upwards. As if he was looking up towards something in the sense of admiration. I thought it was cute, because if you put everything together you can tell he was looking at his lover at the moment and was writing a beautiful poem about her. It’s like they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, well so is a sculpture. It’s all about how you interpret it. I looked it as he treasured her and was in love with her since in the podium next to the sculpture they stated that he was looking up with “admiration”.

Source: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/central-park/monuments/197