Project Proposal – Gentian Dumani

My research question is: How has the Covid-19 pandemic contributed to learning loss in students all over America? The message I’d like to share with my audience is the idea of extending the school year. I believe extending the school year is one of the first big steps school districts need to take inorder to overcome learning loss. My target audience is school districts and parents around the United States. The genre I am choosing to persuade my audience is an op-ed because I have read a couple of op-eds while researching my topic and I feel as if it’s one of the easier concepts to grasp on the list of ideas. I plan on slowly pacing myself and writing everyday, correcting my mistakes as I go along.

1 thought on “Project Proposal – Gentian Dumani”

1. Gentian — You have a good topic and a good message! I would say the next step is to plan an outline of the points you want to make. ALso make sure that your ideas come out of your research. IN other words, you did the RAB research on this topic, so you are now an “expert.” Use what you know now to write your op-ed.

Just like we wrote a reverse outline for the RBG op-ed. Your should have a plan, an outline of the parts of your op-ed essay and in what order those parts will appear to make you argument clear and strong. You want to argue for an extended school year, so what are the points that support that? Use your research and your own thoughts that come out of that research.

I also urge you to consider making a counterargument: Many ppl will say that the kids do not want attend mandatory summer school or longer school year? How will you argue them down?

Remember an op-ed can persuade, convince, and that is what you are saying you want to do in this proposal.

Good work so far!

Best,
    Prof. Wu