RAB Source Entry #1 — Rehana Parvin

PART 1:  MLA Citation

Jacey Fortin and Giulia Heyward, “It’s Just Stressful’: Students feel the weight of pandemic uncertainty.” The New York Times, January 30, 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/30/us/students-pandemic-virtual-learning.html

Graphic Organizer

Main Idea: How has the pandemic affected students in the class of high school 2020?

Supporting Detail 1: For being home all day and doing class online really affected students because the students felt like they were being isolated of course and had trouble learning online and some of them were getting easily distracted from their computer screen.

Supporting Detail 2: Ever since the pandemic started in march of 2020, student routine’s have changed and it’s the same cycle every day. Like me for instance I barely even move and go out. I would just eat, sleep, eat and sleep all day which is a very abysmal habit.

Supporting Detail 3: Students had to switch schools or drop out of school. Some schools, already struggling with nationwide labor, and shortages, were forced to cancel classes after students and teachers got sick from covid. Students couldn’t keep up with their classwork.

PART 2:  SUMMARY

In, “It’s just stressful” which was written by Jacey Fortin and Giulia Heyward and was published on January 30, 2022. This article was published in Milwaukee, the city of Wisconsin. This article is about how the pandemic affected students in high school in 2020. In the article, it says that the school shutdowns in the spring of 2020 were hard enough for students. Many students Students were devastated that school got canceled and had to do online learning. However, not all students feel the same way. Some of those students like staying home doing online learning. Some students just have mixed feelings about staying home or being outside. Many students were still trying to catch up academically after months of struggling to learn online. The two authors of this article talk about the concern of students growing up in the pandemic and how it affected their development. The author’s main idea of this article is that some students did keep up but still struggle to stay motivated while learning online. The two authors’ purpose in writing this article was to show that the pandemic has changed children. Some are unstable during the pandemic and others are taking on adult responsibilities and that anxiety is all around. These authors convey their message personality because they feel that kids are being isolated.

PART 3: REFLECTION

I can relate to this so much because when I graduated from high school and got ready for college while still being isolated, I had to go through some tough adult responsibilities, including getting ready for college online. This is kind of like me because the pandemic made me lazy, not able to move around and get enough sun, and dealing with my family arguing with me. In this article, many students talk about how the school system has failed them, leaving them to take responsibility. I have some mixed feelings about the pandemic and how it affected me in 2020. It was hard for me to catch up with my classwork when I first started college, I was getting distracted by my phone and computer, and I found a new hobby that I wasn’t able to try out. I couldn’t able to hang out with my friends because not only did I have to keep up with my assignments but I had to focus on getting a job. The only good thing about the pandemic was not being able to be in class in person by not walking around the classroom, or waking up early and getting dressed and getting teased at school. I was able to celebrate my holiday while being at home for one month. This article interests me and why I can connect to this article and the two authors is because a lot of the stuff that happened to me in the pandemic for the last two years had been kind of hectic, and what I mean by that was going through a lot of activity was stressful but always exciting because I was able to try out new things during the pandemic. I was quite sad that everything was canceled in my high school. This was an awful time in high school in 2020 with students having to deal with anxiety and depression during a pandemic, not able to properly grow up in the pandemic, and missing out on what students were looking forward to doing in high school.

PART 4: RHETORICAL/GENRE ANALYSIS

This article helps me understand that this pandemic has affected high school students in 2020 and it’s quite a big deal because not only did things get canceled but students are being isolated too much and it’s affecting their health. After reading this article many students got sick from being isolated a lot. Now that students are allowed to be in class in person, they still feel anxiety after being quarantined. Another problem is that students who graduated from high school and are getting ready for college were even more stressed because students were growing up and developing during the pandemic. The author mentions how the pandemic affecting the student in 2020 was their scheduled routine. Many students would just do online classes and then they would eat and sleep all day and would do this every day, not getting enough exercise and going out.

PART 5:  NOTABLE QUOTABLES

“We’re growing up through a pandemic. and that’s definitely affecting our development.” (Kyla Chester-Hopkins)

“I’m just getting that experience of being back at school. It’s like, what if that all gets taken away from me again?” (Jordan Spencer)

“We’re trying to get back into the swing of things, and not necessarily be stuck in this pandemic loop because it’s been two years now, and we don’t know how long it’s going to last, and we don’t want it to last forever. (Kyla Chester-Hopkins)

3 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry #1 — Rehana Parvin”

1. In my opinion ur summary was good. As for the reflection, I think you needed to do an extra paragraph where you do a Rhetorical Analysis.

2. Rehana:

YOur summary is ok. However, why are the points that you put into your preparatory organizer as NU (Main Idea) and SD (Supporting Detiails) not in your summary???? After you put the main points into the organizer at the top, then COPY THOSE MAIN POINTS INTO YOUR SUMMARY.

IN YOUR GRAPHIC ORGANIZER, you say the MI as a question. The MI cannot be a question. Remember you just read this article so you should be able to state what the main idea is. YOu should not be asking a question as the MI.

Your Reflection needs work. What you wrote is a long piece of writing that seems to stray away from the article points. Your reflection should be bounced off the main points of the article. Look at the example posts from Lisa that I posted in Research Project Resources page. Study the example posts by my previous semester students, Fan and Amadou.

Your Rhetorical Genre Analysis does not fit the instructions for this part. LOOK AT THE ASSIGNMENT.

Work with the tutors!