Writing Task Mentor Quote – Gentian Dumani

“It’s okay if you don’t understand something take your time and don’t give in.” These were the words my 8th grade math teacher told me around the beginning of the school year. I was never the brightest person and I would always perform slightly below average. I tried my hardest and I barely understood most things my teachers were instructing. However, I would always perform horribly in math I could never grasp any concept and it would take a toll on my grade. I was falling behind in class and my teacher pulled me out and told me those words. “It’s okay if you don’t understand something take your time and don’t give in.” Something about what he said felt right it was like he filled in the final piece of puzzle something I was truly missing.

These words my teacher told me served as a turning point in my life. I never really studied that much or put that much effort into my work because I wasn’t able to move at my own pace. After classes I would go to tutoring and if that wasn’t enough I would start where I left off at home until I was able to comprehend what I didn’t know. My bond with my math teacher grew stronger over time he was someone who had my back and would always stay a little longer to help me if I was having trouble. His words helped me get through highschool and now college. I take all my classes seriously and if I don’t understand something I reach for assitance from teachers, peers, and my parents. I probably wouldn’t have made it this far if I didn’t start to pick up my act in my middle school. The only regret I have is not giving him my graditude for having a great impact on my future and for being an amazing teacher.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote – Gentian Dumani”

1. [SET THE QUOTE APART AT THE TOP — REMEMBER HOW PROF HELLMAN STARTED WITH CUOMO’S QUOTE]
    “It’s okay if you don’t understand something take your time and don’t give in.”

These were the words my 8th grade math teacher [HIS NAME!] told me around the beginning of the school year. I was never the brightest person and I would always perform slightly below average. I tried my hardest and I barely understood most things my teachers were instructing. However, I would always perform horribly in math I could never grasp any concept and it would take a toll on my grade. I was falling behind in class and my teacher pulled me out and told me those words. “It’s okay if you don’t understand something take your time and don’t give in.” Something about what he said felt right it was like he filled in the final piece of puzzle something I was truly missing. [GOOD PLACE TO CREATE A SCENE OF THIS CONVO WITH MR. xxx – WHERE, WHEN, WHY of this moment in time when Mr. XXX said these meaningful words to you]
    These words my teacher told me served as a turning point in my life. I never really studied that much or put that much effort into my work because I wasn’t able to move at my own pace. After classes I would go to tutoring and if that wasn’t enough I would start where I left off at home until I was able to comprehend what I didn’t know. [DETAILS OF YOUR HARDHSIP WITH MATH – SHOW ME WITH A SCENE OF YOUR STRUGGLE] My bond with my math teacher grew stronger over time he was someone who had my back and would always stay a little longer to help me if I was having trouble. [DETAILS / DESCRIPTION OF Mr. xxx afterschool classroom – was it a place that felt like second home? What was the room like? What was his way with students?] His words helped me get through highschool and now college. I take all my classes seriously and if I don’t understand something I reach for assitance from teachers, peers, and my parents. I probably wouldn’t have made it this far if I didn’t start to pick up my act in my middle school. The only regret I have is not giving him my graditude for having a great impact on my future and for being an amazing teacher.

GENTIAN – this piece made me smile! You can still tell that teacher. Stop in at your old school and tell him how important he has been in your educational journey. It’ll make his day.

This is a good start — now think of ways to develop this piece—think of places where you can create a scene and SHOW the reader a moment that made a difference in your educational journey to becoming who you are today.

1. Thank you for your feed back but I can’t recall his name and his last year of teaching was with my class hes retired. Thats why I didn’t include it in this piece sorry about that.